Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a male golden retriever puppy 10 weeks 3 days. I got him at 8 weeks ,and just took him to the vet for his 2nd shots and found out neither of his testicles have dropped . Does he still have a chance of them dropping ? does he still get testosterone or will he have a deficiency ? After I called the breeder she said his brothers dropped by her vet visit but his had not but she thought they still might.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
I'm surprised your breeder did not mention this at pick up. Rukie had one undescended at 8 weeks and I had to initial a disclosure on the contract. His had dropped by his vet visit for booster shots. I think some do drop and some don't but they still produce testosterone. Sometimes vets want to neuter early to go in and remove them but Rukie's breeder did not think the cancer risk was great enough in a young dog to justify early neuter.

Reactions: Tahnee GR

·
Registered
491 Posts
Our 2 year old boy had one retained testicle which our breeder told us about before we brought him home. Our vet said it might descend, but if it wasn’t down by 7 months it most likely would not. He was neutered at 22 months and the retained testicle was still in his abdomen. I think your vet could answer your question about testosterone production, but Woody seemed to have more than enough😉.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Our last mail had one that had not dropped when we got him. This was not disclosed by the breeder and when I called to ask if the vet had noticed this, she got real huffy with me. Luckily, it did drop by 12wks. We never contacted the breeder again...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She kind of didn't think it was a big deal to her when I asked her. but she also didn't think it was a big deal his brother came out with a short tail and 1 small ear. Both mom and dad where beautiful and had produced litters before. I think the female was fine in the litter there was just 3 pups . I am reading things about the undecended testicles causing aggressive behavior. He seems ok right now of course biting like crazy everything thing he sees but mainly my hands and feet,but I thought that was normal during teething. I was concerned on whether they still produced testosterone and up to how many weeks can I still hope they eventually will come down ? is 12 weeks the max?

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Check out Post #9 by Prism a very experienced breeder about massaging a testicle down

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
My last Golden, Luke, had undescended testicles. He was my first and I didn't know until the vet told me. We waited until a year (vet's suggestion) and they had not descended, so we had him neutered as the vet suggested it due to cancer risks. His testicles had not descended any according to our vet when he did the surgery. Luke was a really calm Golden. I have no idea if it had anything to do with his undescended testicles/hormones or if it was just his general disposition.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have a friend who had a show pick and only one descended...so he had to be neutered. Breeder was certain at pickup that they would descend. Not the case. Heartbreaking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my puppy is now going on 11 weeks, still nothing, do they still produce testosterone? he seems a little aggressive at times with his biting he sort of launches at you and other times is super docile. vet said aggression maybe due to undecended testicles. How do deal with socializing him as he grows with aggression being a problem, I didn't want to fix him until at least a year

1 - 10 of 10 Posts