Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we got a 10 weeks retriever home. She was 3.6kg at that time. Now she is 12 weeks old and weighs 4.9kg. While her weight has increased she is still below the weight guide on internet. Overall she is playful and has good appetite. We also struggling with her habit of eating poop. Both me and my wife take turns to be with her all the time so we can remove the poop as soon as she is done. We are wondering if she has worms or other digestion issues cause of which she is under weight. Her poop quality looks okay and she poops 3-4 times a day. We feed her 3 meals a day plus treats = 2 cups. We gave her a deworming tablet 1 week ago post which she has gained some weight. We are also thinking of giving her the deworming tablet again.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
My first Golden weighed eight pounds when I brought him home. He also came home with Giardia and medicine for it. It took a while to get all of that straightened out and he had recurrent issues with runny poop the first two years of his life.

All that being said, he ended up being 24" tall and weighed 72lbs as an adult.

Has your vet suggested your puppy is undersized and needs to eat more? I'd feed on the high end range if puppy is underweight and vet says is otherwise healthy.

·
goldenfan
826 Posts
That is a very light puppy. We in the UK with show bred puppies normally work on 1kg weight for every week of life so my last puppy was 10.6 Kg at 10 weeks. I recommend worming every 2 weeks to the age of 12 weeks then monthly to 6 months. I would use a puppy food designed for puppies (which I presume you are) have her on 4 feeds a day and weigh weekly. I am sure she will catch up. Working bred puppies tend to be lower in weight. Annef

·
Registered
229 Posts
We also struggling with her habit of eating poop .... We feed her 3 meals a day plus treats = 2 cups.
Looking at the packaging available to me, the puppy treats I have bought typically contain less protein and fewer nutritional additives than purpose made puppy feed. I also find its not ideal for my retriever.

The breeder who sold Murphy to me described treats as being like candy, and I have since discovered that the sensory stimulus of purpose made dog treats overwhelms my pup! Even using basic kibble fills him with too much excitement for him to properly focus on his training - he will do anything for a low fat blueberry!

Baring in mind that I am a novice, my suggestion would be to add a 4th meal, and to note that Royal Canin Golden Retriever Puppy kibble contains 29% protein.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Does she look skinny or is she just a small puppy? If her poo is fine, she’s eating well, not being sick, she’s happy in herself and she’s gaining weight regularly I wouldn’t worry too much. Saying that, a Vet check up would be a good idea to put your mind at rest and rule out anything medical.
My pup was the smallest of the litter (I hate saying runt as he’s always been healthy!) so he’s not hitting the ‘averages’ online either but he’s doing very well for him so I try and focus on his personal growth and not focus too much about what’s ‘normal’ for this age.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does she look skinny or is she just a small puppy? If her poo is fine, she’s eating well, not being sick, she’s happy in herself and she’s gaining weight regularly I wouldn’t worry too much. Saying that, a Vet check up would be a good idea to put your mind at rest and rule out anything medical.
My pup was the smallest of the litter (I hate saying runt as he’s always been healthy!) so he’s not hitting the ‘averages’ online either but he’s doing very well for him so I try and focus on his personal growth and not focus too much about what’s ‘normal’ for this age.
Yes she is playful, poop is fine too. We took her to a vet 1 week ago to get her 3rd vaccination shot. The vet wasn’t concerned. Also we noticed that after giving the deworming tablet this week she has grown by 1kg. I wonder if that’s the reason.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.