Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
The nice part about K9data is not just looking at the COI, but also at the offspring list of those dogs you are interested from the past. Here's the offspring list of Elysian Sky Hi Dubl Exposure: Offspring of Am. CH Elysian Sky Hi Dubl Exposure UDT MH ** WCX VCX DDHF OS
It's an amazing list of dogs with wonderful accomplishments. K9data has done such a great service for us keeping all this data for easy access. You can also look at siblings too.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Sterre Widgeon on The Wing
See she goes back to my dogs way back! Annef
Yes! Thanks to breeders like Marge, and Carole, and Karin who have either bred to nice UK and European dogs, or imported them, I have been able to incorporate some really lovely dogs. I like a well-made dog that wants to hunt, and these sort of combinations seem to bring that out for me.

·
the party's crashing us
4,173 Posts

·
Maxwell & Ruby's PR Agent
1,024 Posts
So looking at Maxwell's pedigree: Five generation pedigree: Rocket x Chloe

I'm seeing heavy influence by Rush Hill dogs, especially Rush Hill's Haagen-Daz. And lots of Summit dogs, especially Summit's Goldstorm Moving Picture.

Can anyone with more experience tell me about these breeders and dogs in particular? Feel free PM me if you feel like you don't want to post in the open forum.

·
Registered
16,393 Posts
Maxwell has a pedigree very similar to my Copley on his dad's side. Because both Bistro and Mojo passed away on the younger side, it is nice to see Hobo there who lived a very long healthy life. I am not sure about Maxwell's mom's side, as those are less familiar lines to me. I think of the Summit dogs as having good longevity.

·
Registered
16,393 Posts
Shelly, an amazing, informative post. Thanks so much.
Regarding the Faera dogs, people have often come up to me at breed shows and asked me if Tito is a Faera golden. They do have a unique style, and people who have been around goldens for a long time seem to recognize them. At one show I was just tickled beyond words when I met Rhonda Hovan and she asked me if he was "in the family".
He does have a lot of Faera dogs on both sides of his pedigree, including both Starlight and Trio.

For me personally, Pete, Faera-Tainish PDQ is the ultimate bitch in my mind's eye- my dream. Pedigree: Ch. Faera-Tainsh PDQ SDHF OD

·
Registered
80 Posts
Maxwell has a pedigree very similar to my Copley on his dad's side. Because both Bistro and Mojo passed away on the younger side, it is nice to see Hobo there who lived a very long healthy life. I am not sure about Maxwell's mom's side, as those are less familiar lines to me. I think of the Summit dogs as having good longevity.
I'm not familiar with Hobo, (atleast his call name) could you give me his registered name? Thanks, Golden:)

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Any other thoughts to dogs used in versatile pedigrees?
Quar, Bainin, Whirly, Expo, Jake, Yogi, Sabre are all common in a lot of versatile pedigrees (and mostly connected!) One who I think does not get mentioned as much as some is Strad (Jazzmin Pebwin's Xtravaganz)--he is my Win's grandfather, and also behind most of the Morningstar Goldens. Colabaugh has also produced some very good looking, good working dogs. Buzz is another neat dog (Honeybee's Swarm Warning).

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Quar, Bainin, Whirly, Expo, Jake, Yogi, Sabre are all common in a lot of versatile pedigrees (and mostly connected!) One who I think does not get mentioned as much as some is Strad (Jazzmin Pebwin's Xtravaganz)--he is my Win's grandfather, and also behind most of the Morningstar Goldens. Colabaugh has also produced some very good looking, good working dogs. Buzz is another neat dog (Honeybee's Swarm Warning).
My Raider is a great grandson of Strad.

Pedigree: U-CD U-RO1 Morningstar Treasure Eye'L CDX RA CGC/TDI

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Your Raider's grandma Winnie, was aunt to my Win. Ginnie won the Nan Gordon Trophy (the GRCC National Specialty versatility trophy) with her Winnie at a GRCC national, and I also won it with my Win. So we always joke about our Nan Gordon Winnies. The first time the dogs met in person we introduced them--"Winnie, this is Win who won the Nan Gordon. --Win this is Winnie, who won the Nan Gordon." Silly, but our respective Winnie's who won the trophy are why are friends now!

·
Kimberley, Bella's Mum!
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Soooooo.....(LOL), getting back to my original post. I would like to understand what is meant by "lines" or what is meant when a breeder says "I know my lines", etc. This confuses me. Using drofen's Maxwell puppy's pedigree that was offered up in a post, I wrote down all the kennel names used in his 5-generation pedigree:

Goldenwind, Mariner, Gracious Golds, JBG, Maplegrove, Summit, Trouchstone, Treasure, Pebwin, Cynazar, Birnamwoods, Chuckanut, Braemal, Wind Dance, Twin Beau-D, Goodtime, Rush Hill, Faragold, Beacon Hill, Golden Pine, Goldstorm, Sheffield-Ducat, Sunshine Hill, Edgecombe, Gemstar, Sassafras, Cherrybrook, Rockhill.

These are all "lines"?? If so, how is it possible for anyone to know ALL these "Lines" in a dog's pedigree? I think I must be not understanding pedigrees.

Feel free to go back and use my girl's pedigree to teach me what "lines" are....not what each dog or kennel was like, just what a line is. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I think what they mean is they know the pedigree behind their dogs and know what is typical of that pedigree. For instance if they are typically late bloomers, or don't combine well with another line, etc. Certainly if a breeding is an outcross that predictability would be less apparent. But that (from my understanding) is why you try to breed phenotypically similar dogs when outcrossing.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Kimberley, Bella's Mum!
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So, in Bella's pedigree she has the following kennel names:

Eagle Ridge
Gold-Rush
Rush Hill
Sunbeam
Misty Ridge
Amberwood
Goldenbear
Pelcorp
Treasure
Casadeloro
Bearhill
Twin Beau-D
Amberwood
Amberac
Highmark
Birnam Woods
Asterling
Lovejoy
Keane
Tuxedo
Aspenglo
Sunshine Hill
Heelmark
Goldentown
Westben

That is 24 different kennel names in Bella's pedigree. Are you saying a breeder who claims to know my girl's lines (just an example) would know all 24 of them? Each kennel name is a "Line"?

·
Maxwell & Ruby's PR Agent
1,024 Posts
So, in Bella's pedigree she has the following kennel names:

Eagle Ridge
Gold-Rush
Rush Hill
Sunbeam
Misty Ridge
Amberwood
Goldenbear
Pelcorp
Treasure
Casadeloro
Bearhill
Twin Beau-D
Amberwood
Amberac
Highmark
Birnam Woods
Asterling
Lovejoy
Keane
Tuxedo
Aspenglo
Sunshine Hill
Heelmark
Goldentown
Westben

That is 24 different kennel names in Bella's pedigree. Are you saying a breeder who claims to know my girl's lines (just an example) would know all 24 of them? Each kennel name is a "Line"?
From what I understand, there are certain highly influential dogs that create distinct "lines" identifiable by certain traits--coat, head, ability etc.

I think some of the confusion comes from being somewhat of an outsider still. I noted in one of my posts above I think, that really to understand what a pedigree really means, we have to have insider knowledge of which dogs are influential, which kennels have taken breeding stock from those "lines" to continue them. I just don't know enough of the lay of the land.

For example, with people: If someone is new to the country, maybe they wouldn't recognize that the Kennedy's are one of the big name families in the US, or Rockefeller, etc. Make sense?

21 - 40 of 78 Posts