Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Kate
22,723 Posts
So... I was going to suggest that having "bearer of light" or "light bearer" might be a good thing for a name.

But then I remembered where I had seen that name. That wouldn't do at all for a dog.

Maybe a cat? :D

So I'm going to throw a random in here (for fun) -

Kennel Name Firefly Light O Henry

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I love litter themes! My girls litter theme was "Five". Her registered name is Ruffwater Five Golden Nuggets, call name Juneau. It's fun, when a new litter is born, on the private Facebook page my breeder has for her families, we all throw out call names and registered names that go with the theme. One of Juneaus brothers is Ruffwater Five Finger Discount, call name Bandit, which was a suggestion on the page when they were born.

Reactions: forgold

·
Registered
27 Posts
Call names (Henry) do not need to have anything to do with registered names. Registered …. why some people get a little over the top in trying to select the most perfect name for their dogs. Some, quite honestly, are so set on picking a name that smites the mind with its extraordinary properties... that the dog grows up and gets old before they actually sit down to register their dogs. :D
I burst I out laughing! Because … Oh my god, that’s ME, trying HARD 🤷🏼‍♀️ to choose a GREAT name that perfectly/magically melds my 3 previous dogs’ names with a new one AND also fits with in the AKC boxes. (I am not a fan of long names.) Suffered for 2 weeks, didn’t much like it the next morning, but DONE ..and maybe a blessing that a better name never entered my brain any time later! I did like his call name, tho.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The registered name doesn't need to be related to his call name. For example, my boy is named Gus but his registered name is Leongolden I'm Sweet and Salty (ocean theme).
Yes, but nicer for the rest of us, if the two names are related!
Hey! just thought up an cute combo: Theme is Love or Unstoppable or Dessert … something like that…. so, you register your black Lab pup, as ….
(kennel name) Hundred Percent Cocoa and call her Candy! Ho ho ho!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hey! just thought up an cute combo: Theme is Love or Unstoppable or Dessert … something like that…. so, you register your black Lab pup, as ….
Agreed! I think it's fun to relate the two names. My Newfoundland is "Bluwater's it's Ben a Long Time Comin'", call name "Ben"

·
Registered
27 Posts
So excited to be picking up our boy in less than two weeks. Our breeder gave us a long list of names under the theme of “light”. …
QUOTE="LsB, post: 7873426, member: 215116"]

Well here’s one with LIGHT in it, based on non-existent succesor to King Henry the 8th tee hee

Henry X SeenTheLight Keeps Head

Think this. is 30 char.s long as written. Other ideas — based on famous people like Hank Aaron. Henry James, Henry David Thoreau … llke the last one, cuz then when your Henry is being bratty, you can say, “HenryDave cut that out!” 😃
Extra nick names always fun

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
So excited to be picking up our boy in less than two weeks. Our breeder gave us a long list of names under the theme of “light”. Such as Light my fire, Speed of light, etc.
…. Any I insight would be appreciated!
Here‘s one idea: Henry X SeenTheLight Keeps Head

Based on a non-existing King of England Tee hee hee Think it’s just under 32 char.s long
Or play off of famous people, like Hank Aaron, Henry Ford ( maybe not), or Henry David Thoreau. I like the last one, cuz when your Henry is being bratty 20 ft. away, you can yell ‘HenryDave, cut that out!’. 😆 Nice to have an extra nickname for your dog.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts