Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So excited to be picking up our boy in less than two weeks. Our breeder gave us a long list of names under the theme of “light”. Such as Light my fire, Speed of light, etc.

If we have picked out a simple name for our puppy, Henry, how does that fit in to this and do I need to create a different name for the pedigree? We’ve had several Goldens but I have never experience a themed naming. Any I insight would be appreciated!

·
Kate
22,652 Posts
Call names (Henry) do not need to have anything to do with registered names. Registered names are what goes into the books at AKC. Years and years from now when you want to look up your dog (if you ever do), the registered name is what you would enter in their database search and find your pup in there. :) If you do any dog sports, then it goes a step beyond that and most people looking in catalogs or results from shows can locate your name + your dog's registered name there. That's pretty much why some people get a little over the top in trying to select the most perfect name for their dogs. Some, quite honestly, are so set on picking a name that smites the mind with its extraordinary properties... that the dog grows up and gets old before they actually sit down to register their dogs. :D

But back to the point - pet dog, you have a name picked out already - you can go with that.

Now personally speaking - I dislike when breeders pick out registered names for their pet homes. Even themes are a huge pain in the neck. :D

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
You pick a AKC Registered name, and then a call name. Henry would be your “call name”.

For example my youngest puppy was bred by Belle Terre Goldens. His litter theme name was “The Good Litter”. His registered name is Belle Terre Hez Good To Go, and his call name is Cruz. I chose to put a “z” on the end of Hez instead of He’s because I wanted his call name to be Cruz spelled with a “z” instead of Cruise. I just played around with it. I like my call name to go along with my registered name, but the registered name doesn’t have to include it.

Hope this helps. It’s been a long day and my brain is turning to mush lol

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Call names (Henry) do not need to have anything to do with registered names. Registered names are what goes into the books at AKC. Years and years from now when you want to look up your dog (if you ever do), the registered name is what you would enter in their database search and find your pup in there. :) If you do any dog sports, then it goes a step beyond that and most people looking in catalogs or results from shows can locate your name + your dog's registered name there. That's pretty much why some people get a little over the top in trying to select the most perfect name for their dogs. Some, quite honestly, are so set on picking a name that smites the mind with its extraordinary properties... that the dog grows up and gets old before they actually sit down to register their dogs. :D

But back to the point - pet dog, you have a name picked out already - you can go with that.

Now personally speaking - I dislike when breeders pick out registered names for their pet homes. Even themes are a huge pain in the neck. :D
The breeder requires that we have everything figured out by pick up date. But this really clarified things. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You pick a AKC Registered name, and then a call name. Henry would be your “call name”.

For example my youngest puppy was bred by Belle Terre Goldens. His litter theme name was “The Good Litter”. His registered name is Belle Terre Hez Good To Go, and his call name is Cruz. I chose to put a “z” on the end of Hez instead of He’s because I wanted his call name to be Cruz spelled with a “z” instead of Cruise. I just played around with it. I like my call name to go along with my registered name, but the registered name doesn’t have to include it.

Hope this helps. It’s been a long day and my brain is turning to mush lol
Totally makes sense. Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I have never heard of it before. I'd pass on a litter if a breeder required it.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
I have never heard of it before. I'd pass on a litter if a breeder required it.
All three of the dogs I’ve gotten from reputable breeders have required that the registered name be related to the litter theme. In fact, in my experience, around here, NOT having a litter theme would be outside the norm…

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
All three of the dogs I’ve gotten from reputable breeders have required that the registered name be related to the litter theme. In fact, in my experience, around here, NOT having a litter theme would be outside the norm…
Many breeders want the kennel name included, never heard of a "litter theme". I included the kennel name in Lily's registered name as a courtesy. Hopefully the theme will be seen in field trial placements in the coming years.
The people I got her from aren't really breeders, they just have a litter when they have an exceptional dog and want a pup.
I doubt I'll ever get a pup from an actual breeder again.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Logan's was "late" and his registered name is "Prism's Lately I've Been Thinking", which I love. The next line in the song is "I want you to be happier" and his call name is Logan. I didn't plan or want to name him Happy or Happier. Logan is where my father was born. My father's memory makes me happy. Logan makes me happy. I'm feeling much happier with Logan in my life. 😃

The video from the song shows a young girl getting a Golden Retriever for her birthday from her father. It shows a wonderful life they spent together, her dog passing away, and then years later her own daughter being given a Golden Retriever puppy once again by her father. I saw this as a nod to Luke, a nod to my father, love experienced, and much more love left to give to Logan.

Logan's kennel name is included because I know I got him from a wonderful caring breeder and I'm more than happy to include the kennel name.

To the OP -- as to the litter theme being "light" -- my first Golden's name was Luke which means light-giving. But you want to call yours Henry and it is a lovely name. Call your dog what you like or what means something to you. I have no idea how to tie Henry and light together.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
So excited to be picking up our boy in less than two weeks. Our breeder gave us a long list of names under the theme of “light”. Such as Light my fire, Speed of light, etc.

If we have picked out a simple name for our puppy, Henry, how does that fit in to this and do I need to create a different name for the pedigree? We’ve had several Goldens but I have never experience a themed naming. Any I insight would be appreciated!
Most breeders are only worried about registered names. My girl (children’s games theme) is Sweet Tiddlywinks Rose. Her call name is Winx.My boy (party theme) is registered Black Tie Affair. Call name is Pilot. It makes it easy to identify litters.

·
Kate
22,652 Posts
It's a huge pain because if you have an idea for a name that fits a pup - but there's a theme and you have to pull your hair trying to figure out how to make the perfect registration name FIT a theme.

Both my babies had a theme - (Bee and Summer) - and I made it work. Quite honestly was RELIEVED the theme wasn't as dopey as some out there. 🤣 I've seen some on FB and yikes. And it gets worse when you have those breeders who literally name the pups before sending them home. o_O

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
It's a huge pain because if you have an idea for a name that fits a pup - but there's a theme and you have to pull your hair trying to figure out how to make the perfect registration name FIT a theme.

Both my babies had a theme - (Bee and Summer) - and I made it work. Quite honestly was RELIEVED the theme wasn't as dopey as some out there. 🤣 I've seen some on FB and yikes. And it gets worse when you have those breeders who literally name the pups before sending them home. o_O
Oh I have some registered names on my list just waiting for the right theme! In fact Pilot went along with one of them!

I’ve seen some strange ones, that’s for sure! I wouldn’t take a puppy from a breeder who insists on naming the puppies. For one, it’s pretty selfish to take that away from the new owners. For another, I’d be very worried about them being controlling.

·
Super Moderator
1,364 Posts
We were just talking about litter themes this past weekend. My mentors here like to do themes because it helps them remember which dogs belong to which litter. Meaning the pets, not their own dogs.

One of my friends got a puppy from the “pumpkin spice” litter from a different breeder. She did not do a registered name for that litter theme. LOL

Personally, I’m 50/50 on themes. My breeder doesn’t typically do themes and our dogs are named after things that mean something to us. One is named after an NBA team and the other is named after a Pokémon, so…. I might make everyone with an Eevee puppy name their puppy after an evolution of Eevee...

…Kidding, but that would be funny!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
We were just talking about litter themes this past weekend. My mentors here like to do themes because it helps them remember which dogs belong to which litter. Meaning the pets, not their own dogs.

One of my friends got a puppy from the “pumpkin spice” litter from a different breeder. She did not do a registered name for that litter theme. LOL

Personally, I’m 50/50 on themes. My breeder doesn’t typically do themes and our dogs are named after things that mean something to us. One is named after an NBA team and the other is named after a Pokémon, so…. I might make everyone with an Eevee puppy name their puppy after an evolution of Eevee...

…Kidding, but that would be funny!
My son, who is 31 now, LOVED Pokemon. I had to go look up Eevee after reading your post. Cute!

·
Super Moderator
1,364 Posts
My son, who is 31 now, LOVED Pokemon. I had to go look up Eevee after reading your post. Cute!
My husband picked her name. We are the same age as your son. LOL He was very into Pokémon. The name fits her though!

Reactions: diane0905

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love the naming process, it's so much fun! So here's a couple ideas for your boy:
[kennel name] Light of my Life, call name Henry
[kennel name] Henry's Golden Light, call name Henry
[kennel name] Royal Light, call name Henry
[kennel name] Henry Lightyear, call name Henry

I also like to look at the parent's call and registered names for inspiration. :) Have fun thinking up names!

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,692 Posts
My girls usually have a blend of sire & dam's names (girls have to date been from the bird line). Sunfire's Desert Towhee (desert storm x Mtn Chickadee), Sunfire's Galapagos Finch (Theory of the Universe x Desert Towhee), Sunfire's Meadow Wren (we went back a bit for the sire's side for a name that matched Caernac Duffy of Lost Meadow *** x Finch). Other than Caernac... all Kennel names are/were Sunfire.

My boys had/have call names unrelated to their registered names other than my 1st golden.

Amber Sunrise King (King)
Amber Sunrise Rishi (Casey)
Amber Sunrise Xpress (Rowdy)
I chose Amber Sunrise since King's fur looked like an amber sunrise to me.

I choose not to have call names embedded in the registered names due to the issues of AR groups releasing dogs from crates and the odds of being a bit safer would be if your dog did not respond to a name in the catalog (this was awhile back but the habit sticks); my girls are co-owned and their breeder prefers the call names and registered named to be similar.

Windrush Amber Sunrise's Zachane(Faelan: little wolf, Windrush was his kennel name, Amber Sunrise a bridge and Zachane for it's meaning)

Sunfire's Desert Fox (Brady: Fox from his sire's kennel Foxrun, Desert from dam Desert Towhee/Desert Storm) Brady was a return and needed a name quickly before he started his classes with me....I was unwilling to keep his original name of Bentley.

Sunfire's Mystic Wolf (Aedan : Wolf from sire Faelan, Mystic from his dam Practically Perfect from Mary Poppins) Aedan: Little fire, born of Fire

Reactions: ScoutTheGolden

·
Registered
355 Posts

The registered name doesn't need to be related to his call name. For example, my boy is named Gus but his registered name is Leongolden I'm Sweet and Salty (ocean theme).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts