Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm hoping someone could help me understand the DNA results a breeder shared with me for the Dame and Sire of one of her upcoming litters - namely, whether they are cause for any alarm. My close friend's amazing golden came from her kennel, but seeing "Carrier" makes me nervous. Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide! The results are:

Dame
Normal (Clear) - Degenerative Myelopathy II
CARRIER - Ichthyosis (Golden Retriever Type) II Gene PNPLA1 II Genotype WT/M
Normal (Clear) - Progressive Retinal Atrophy, Golden Retriever 1
Normal (Clear) - Progressive Retinal Atrophy, Golden Retriever 2 II Gene PNPLA1 II Genotype WT/WT
Normal (Clear) - Progressive Retinal Atrophy, Progressive Rod-Cone Degeneration

Her OFA results were Fair for Hips, Normal for Eyes, Normal Practitioner for Congenital Cardiac and Normal for Elbows.

Sire
Normal (Clear) - Degenerative Myelopathy
Normal (Clear) - Ichthyosis (Golden Retriever Type) II Gene PNPLA1 II Genotype WT/WT
Normal (Clear) - Progressive Retinal Atrophy, Golden Retriever 1
CARRIER - Progressive Retinal Atrophy, Golden Retriever 2 II Gene TTC8 II Genotype WT/M
Normal (Clear) - Progressive Retinal Atrophy, Progressive Rod-Cone Degeneration

His OFA results were Excellent for Hips, Normal for Eyes, Normal AO/Cong, Ausc/Echo for Advanced Cardiac, Normal for Elbow and Chic Qualified for Canine Health.

Font Screenshot Number Parallel Rectangle

·
the party's crashing us
4,472 Posts
Hi there! Ichthyosis and PRA-GR1 are two completely unrelated genetic diseases in goldens. Luckily for us, they operate with simple dominant inheritance and we have a test for them. For these diseases, you have one parent that is clear and one is a carrier. The worst possible scenario is that your puppy would also be a carrier for one or both of these diseases. You will be able to DNA test your puppy and find out. If this is only a pet and you have no desire to breed it down the road, then this is an absolute non-issue. Carriers NEVER display the disease. Your dog will never have symptoms. If you do plan to breed, you need to make sure any mates for the dog are also DNA tested and are CLEAR for ichthyosis and PRA-GR1. There is a 50% chance your dog will be clear, in which case, moot point.

Reactions: Tagrenine

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for this. He will be a very beloved family pet; I just wanted to make sure that he won't have any imminent, painful ailments coming. He won't be bred.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Agree - the carrier status for either dog should not be concern since the mate is clear. BUT, I would be more concerned that the dam only has a practitioner cardiac clearance. That is considered “inadequate” by the GRCA. It should have been done by a cardiologist, since a practitioner can’t always catch the more subtle signs of heart disease. It’s important to note that does NOT mean your puppy would have a heart issue… the dam may be perfectly fine. But without the dam having been cleared by a cardiologist it’s an unknown factor you may want to consider…

Reactions: Rion05

·
Registered
679 Posts
The female has inadequate cardiac clearance. It is also my personal opinion that I don't feel comfortable with "fair" grade hips. I 100% understand that fair is a passing grade, but its personal preference to stick with good or excellent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts