Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

understanding different training methods

2K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  sammydog 
It's "aversives" .

Starting puppies out mainly with the "reinforcement" part of operant conditioning means they learn how to learn and are motivated to offer "good" behaviors to get a reward. A reward doesnt mean a cookie always, the way people think it does. For example, sometimes being released from a stay is something the dog finds rewarding. There are both conditioned and nonconditioned reinforcers. For example, eating food, barking, playing with a bouncy ball are all things Tally finds rewarding in and of themselves. A conditioned reinforcer is something, like the "click" noise of a clicker or the word "yes" or the sound of a familiar car coming in the driveway, that the dog learns from experience to associate with good things. Eventually, the conditioned reinforcer comes to represent the nonconditioned one. There is a TON of science involving how dogs learn best. There's lots of proof that operant conditioning with reinforcers creates a better learner than punishment.

I definitely did scold both Tally and Tango for breaking house rules when they were"teenagers" , and they have each heard the word "NO" a few times a piece. No dog in my household is "bratty" like you were saying is your experience with 90 percent of dogs. In formal training, I have never used an aversive with Tango or Tally, because both are highly motivated by positive methods.

HOWEVER, your accomplishments with Tito speak for themselves. Your methods obviously work incredibly well. It's just that positive ones do too.

I do use aversives on juniors and seniors in English class- but very sparingly and on the occasion that I do it, I go big. For example, in a seminar discussion, if someone is spectating more than participating bc they didnt do their reading well the night before and it has happened more than once- I say that I am sorry and I will miss the person, but they have to take their books&backpack and leave, and that I don't want to see them for the rest of the day. It only takes once in early fall, and then everyone makes their English reading a priority and the class discussion is fantastic and fruitful. These are such motivated, grade conscious students that getting excused is a big ordeal. Some teachers use pop quizzes, but I usually don't have to go that far. Mainly, I use reinforcers like remembering who made what insightful point and referring to it next class, or using the phrase "I agree", and telling the class on days the discussion was very thoughtful that they are is such a good group and I learned a new idea from them. Obviously, grades are HUGE aversive and positive conditional reinforcers .. .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.