Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I have been researching different Golden breeders for quite some time now and I want to be sure the parents of the puppies have clearances on health checks. I know how to find them, but don't really understand how to read them and know if they are good or bad, etc. Would someone be willing to private message me and help me out? I can share with you the 2 dogs being bred. Thank you.

·
Puddles
3,938 Posts
ofa.org is where the clearances should be located for you to see.
hips/elbows are done once, on or after the age of 24 months
heart should be done by a cardiologist (for goldens) test done once after 12 to 15 months
eyes by optometrist... done every 12 months and should be current before breeding.
many breeders also use k9data.com .. many times this is where they show the DNA testing for Pra, Itc & Ncl and other information that may not be posted to ofa. But this is user input and not meant to be used as verifiable clearances.
If OFA assigns a number in hips and it's blank in the elbow column it is usually assumed they failed as these test are usually done together. Works both ways, a number in elbows but not in hips usually means a fail.
Not all breeders post heart and eye, I don't know why but some don't. It's like $12. to post this info so??? But if you don't see these test, ask the breeder for a copy.
Feel free to post sire & dam and someone can look them up for you. It can help others that might also be looking at the same litter so shared info is good.
When you review ofa it's important to also look back 3 or 4 generations, siblings, half siblings and/or offspring if any. Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts