Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently got blood work done for my 15 week puppy Bourbon. I found various things were falling outside the normal range. I am not sure if it is normal to see a bunch of things falls off the range.

https://ibb.co/bXPR8Q

Creatinine - Low
BUN/Creatinine Ratio - High

WBC - High
HGB - Low
Platelet Count - High
Neutrophils - Low
Lymphocytes - High
Eosinophils - Low
Absolute Lymphocyte - High
Absolute Monocyte - High
My vet's clinic is closed today and I am trying to find about each of these. Thought of getting help from experts here. Should I be concerned about any of these and change anything in his diet to improve his health? He is on Purina Pro Plan lamb & rice puppy food. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,155 Posts
lymphocytes, monocytes, eosinophils and neutrophils are all kinds of white blood cells.
Lymphocytes live the spleen and lymph nodes and monocytes live in the spleen and bone marrow and they help the neutrophils.
Low level on the monocyte and eosinophil doesn't really mean anything- it's possible to not have much of any level with no disease present, but high monocyte indicates infection as does high lymphocyte.

I'm glad your vet is open today.

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
If WBC (white blood count) is high it usually indicates an infection of some kind
Lymphocytes, monocytes, eosinophils & neutrophils are the breakdown of the WBC
BUN (blood in urine) may indicate a kidney or bladder infection
If the eosinophil were high it would indicate a parasite problem or severe allergies.

There is definitely something going on and your vet can discuss his concerns and get your precious pup on some medication. If he suspects a UTI please ask for a sterile culture be done.

It's good you checked! Hope your pup feels better soon.

·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Two weeks back he was having Giardia and Coccidia. He had his medicines for a week. We would be giving his fecal this week to check if he still has it.

He was scratching himself. That is the reason we wanted to know how is overall health is and went for a blood test. Hope it is not something serious and he recovers soon.

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,668 Posts
I agree the high white blood cell counts indicates an infection, hope it clears us soon and he's doing better.

Sending good thoughts for you and your little guy.

·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Checked with my vet and she said that there is nothing to worry about. Something I forgot to mention in the initial post is that he got his third set of DAPPV a week before his blood test. That is the reason for his WBC, Lymphocyte, Monocyte to be high. So these numbers are depicting an infection due to the vaccine.

Here is a detailed update. There are three causes for WBC to be high

1. Allergies - Dogs with allergies can have high WBC
  2. Flee - Eosinophils would be high in this case. But it is low for Bourbon. So he does not have flees
  3. Auto-immune diesease - Vaccines cause inflammation and stimulate the immune system which results in high WBC. This is why Absolute Lymphocyte and Absolute Monocyte are high.

• Low Creatinine is nothing to worry about. Growing puppies that are not muscular yet can have slightly low count. If it goes high, that is worrisome and it could affect kidneys
  • BUN is a product of protein digestion. We should consider only the absolute numbers and not the ratio. As BUN is normal, there is nothing to worry here. Dogs eating a lot of protein can have high BUN
  • Platelets slightly high is not to be worried about. If it is low then it would be bothering as platelets are used to clot the blood in case of a cut / injury
  • The important number to look for is the absolute numbers. Absolute count for Eosinophils and Neutrophils are normal.

So overall he is in good health.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts