Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 month old golden girl safy has had diarrhea almost every day since bringing her home at 12 weeks (and 17lbs.)
The breeder said the litter had coxcemia(sp?) but was over it and should be good to go.

Took stool sample to new pup visit and found hookworms and bacterial infection. The vet prescribed metronidazol and prescription W/D, gradually adding regular puppy food until ratio was 1 cup dry to ¼ can W/D. We were able to get her to that point for about 3 days and doing well until suddenly without warning her stool was liquid again.
This was 2 days past the end of metronidazol.
He is now on vacation until the 20th of June.
I am very worried that Safy is not getting the nutrition necessary for healthy growth.
She is only 26 lbs and looks like a poor neglected pup. What to do? Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
She is going to need to be seen before the 20th. Hopefully there's another vet covering his patients. Sounds like she needs another stool check to see if the hooks are gone and will probably need another round of metro. Would be a good idea to run a giardia test, too.

As to diet, a bland diet as suggested above is a good idea until you can get her seen on Monday. Hamburger should have the fat drained/rinsed, then mix it one part burger to 2-3 parts cooked white rice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this a common problem? Safy is my 4th Golden in the past 32 years and honestly do not remember a problem like this. How long does it usually last? The vet (who i am replacing) thinks she will "grow out of it".
Is 26 lbs. as small as I think it is for a 4 month old pup?
Thank you for your help.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
My pup had giardia, did 3 rounds of Metro/Flagyl did nothing, there was bad bacteria still in his intestines causing loose stools, went to vet, they said "chicken/rice for a few days and then start adding Iams Low Residue intestinal food for 2 weeks weaning off the chicken/rice. they also gave me 4 weeks of Tylan Powder and Fortiflora. The Iams and Tylan did the trick! in 2 days completely firm stool. He was on the Iams for not even a week and i started adding in his regular food, i am still using 1/2 cup of Iams Low Residue til i run out of it. that Tylan powder works like magic! Metro/Flagyl are a waste of time in my opinion. Until your back to the vet feed her chicken/rice ask about the Low Residue food/Tylan Powder. I told the vet no more flagyl or metro.

Oh forgot to add, he is a great dane pup. He was underweight and within 8 days he packed on 11 lbs!! went from 73 to 84lbs. He hadnt gained weight for 2 weeks prior to treatment. he stayed at 73 lbs for 2 weeks,,,not good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts