Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should an undercoat rake be used while they are a puppy? If so how often for a puppy and an adult golden? My little guy is 7 months right now. So far I use a pin brush and a slicker brush on him to brush him. Thanks!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have found if they aren't really shedding, the rake doesn't work and feels like a complete waste of money. However, when they really start to shed, the rake works miracles (and should only be used outdoors! )

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd also like to know which brushes/combs are needed for puppy. :unsure:
Our pup is 3 months and for now, we only have small pin brush for him, which is more of a massage brush than actual comb for grooming.

·
Super Moderator
1,538 Posts
Slickers and greyhound combs here too. I mostly use my undercoat rake on my neutered boy who has A LOT of hair.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have found if they aren't really shedding, the rake doesn't work and feels like a complete waste of money. However, when they really start to shed, the rake works miracles (and should only be used outdoors! )
Good to know. How often can it be used though without harming my puppies coat? My puppy is starting to shed way more right now in the fall. Can I use it multiple times a week safely ? Definitely planning on using it when he is shedding a ton which I hear is in spring and fall

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd also like to know which brushes/combs are needed for puppy. :unsure:
Our pup is 3 months and for now, we only have small pin brush for him, which is more of a massage brush than actual comb for grooming.
I used the pin brush on my puppy since I had him at 8 weeks. At 16 weeks I started introducing the purple slicker brush on Amazon that has the push button just so he can get used to a different type of brush. I’m sure you’ll read online a slicker brush is fine but a furminator is suppose to not be good for the coat as I read it can pull out hair and not be good for your puppy/adult!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Good to know. How often can it be used though without harming my puppies coat? My puppy is starting to shed way more right now in the fall. Can I use it multiple times a week safely ? Definitely planning on using it when he is shedding a ton which I hear is in spring and fall
The rake i use ( I think some 'rakes' have blades), i never used on a puppy because they didn't shed that much. Maybe started using it with success after a year?

Otherwise i used a pin / soft bristle brush, just to get them to (hopefully) enjoy being groomed

Pin brush

Rake

·
Registered
Ozzie, passed away 7/3/2021
28 Posts
Yeah just make sure you’re not buying a furminator which will cut the top coat. The rake will get all of the shedding undercoat out.
Just to be clear, could you all please clarify what you mean by an undercoat rake? A picture would be great…. Also, the advice is not to ever use a furminator?

·
Super Moderator
1,538 Posts
Thanks! How often do you use the under comb rake? A couple times a week is okay? I just don’t want to harm my boys coat!
I only use undercoat rakes a maximum of once every other week.
Just to be clear, could you all please clarify what you mean by an undercoat rake? A picture would be great…. Also, the advice is not to ever use a furminator?
A Mars Coat King is what I use. I don’t have a picture, but you can Google it. 18-blade double-wide is what is recommended for Goldens.

·
Registered
Ozzie, passed away 7/3/2021
28 Posts
I only use undercoat rakes a maximum of once every other week.

A Mars Coat King is what I use. I don’t have a picture, but you can Google it. 18-blade double-wide is what is recommended for Goldens.
Thank you! I will order one - getting a puppy in a few days! Arkansas Gold, I have a question for you and would like to private message you but don’t know how…..

·
Super Moderator
1,538 Posts
Thank you! I will order one - getting a puppy in a few days! Arkansas Gold, I have a question for you and would like to private message you but don’t know how…..
Click on my username and go to my profile. Then click on “Start Conversation”

1 - 17 of 17 Posts