Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the past 5-6 weekends when I drive down our main drag of town there are always 2-3 people walking on the sidewalk with these big poster board signs that just say puppies with a bunch of paw prints on them. I have have been wondering what it is all about. This morning on the way back from Starbucks I looked at the strip mall's marquee board and there is a new business... Mo Puppy Expo!!!! I am completely astonished and angry. When I got home I googled the business and everything about their website screams Puppy Mill to me.

How do they get a business license? It absolutely sickens me. Missouri is already notorious for Puppy Mills, is it any wonder why?

What makes this all that more sickening... the Humane Society is like 5 miles down the same road!!!

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
We have a pet store in a nearby town that sells puppies. Not many pet stores nearby do. Makes you ill thinking about the parents of the pups, and what happens to the pups that don't get sold as they age?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I saw that at a puppy store in New Milford. They had many older puppies. I felt bad for them. This makes post #15!!!! ya hoooo!!!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I think I will be, I can't believe I haven't seen people doing this already. It is a high pickett area, Planned Parenthood is just across the street. I am sure they would love some company.

They even have more than 1 location!!!

I just don't understand how???

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
This is something that makes me mad too! And it's close enough to home that you don't have to let it happen without making it VERY difficult for the people running the shady operation. Call the local news/newspapers/authorities, and bring attention to it...I'm getting the idea you are planning to anyway, but that's just my $0.02

·
Premium Member
17,907 Posts
Unfortunately there are no laws against pet stores selling puppies. And yes, they get their puppies from puppy mills, which again there are no laws against the actual existence of puppy mills, only laws against inhumane conditions.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunatley the laws in Mo. make it very easy to have/own/run a puppy mill. WHich is why we are apparently the capitol of puppy mills.

The website says they have a vet on sight weekly??? What vet would condone or support this??? The way it sounds they are either the actual producers of all of these puppies or they like an association of multiple puppy suppliers.

·
Miss Happy
1,504 Posts
I live in Defiance, MO and go St. Peters often but didn't see the sign. Is this on Mid River Mall Dr.? If I see the sign I may stop and play dumb and ask questions....will look for the sign in a couple of days.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it's off Mid rivers mall in the same strip as the Bed, Bath, and Beyond. It is in the Planet fun corner of the complex. They are only open Wednesday-Sunday. I was going to go in on Wed since I am on Vacation.

·
Winchestersonfieldville
1,328 Posts
Wow! I just looked at the website for this place. It seriously made me sick to my stomach. People have NO CLUE do they?

:( :( :( :(
Puppies Available This Week Are:
American Eskimo Basset HoundBichonBulletsCairn TerrierChihuahuaCocker SpanielDachshundGerman ShepherdGreyhoundHavaneseHuskyIG/PekeLabrador RetLhasa ApsoMalt/SilkyMalteseMin SchnauzerMin. PinscherPapillonPeke-A-PinPeke-A-TesePomeranianPoodle-ToySheltieShih-TzuSilkeseSilky TerrierSilky/MalteseSoft Coated WheatenYorkieYorkie/Shih-tzuYorkie/Silky

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Places like that never seem to last all that long around here. I can't even count how many puppy stores have been opened up at our local mall and they all eventually end up going out of business for one reason or another. I think there is only one pet store left here that actually sells puppies and I refuse to go in it. The one and only time we did go in there (before we knew they sold puppies), they had both a Golden and a black Labrador puppy together in the same cage for $800 each. I couldn't stand it. I see ads in our classifieds all the time that list several different breeds of puppies for sale all at the same place. It's just sickening. :no:

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
My suggestion is to walk or drive down to the Humane Society and make friends with them. Then you can see if this store is on their radar or if you see a violation you can easily report it to them. We used to have a Humane Society Cruelty Investigation Division office within a mile of our home, on our walking route. We stopped by and made friends (with our golden). Later it was helpful when we reported an abusive trainer at a local dog training class just blocks away. We also were able to get some investigations going for some cat mutilations going on in the neighborhood. These mutilation weren't coyote kill, but actual mutilations.

·
Dog Lover
42,034 Posts
Puppy stores

There are puppy stores in Illinois.

I know a transporter in MO that transports Puppy Mill dogs to rescue.
I will ask her about this place.

Check on Craiglist for your town in MO and click on Pets and see how many are being sold or GIVEN AWAY on Craigslist.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts