Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we were giving moose a belly rub tonight and we noticed this brown patch of hair? its like a bunch of hair piled together and in his skin. i know we noticed it when he was little but it was smaller and at first we thought it was dirt but it kind of slipped our mind. it seems to feel hard under the skin, but it is by his "man part" (not sure if there's a different name of it for a dog) and i don't know if the hard part is from this bunch of hair or if it's just something in him. i checked the other side and it's not there. when we touch it, it doesn't bother him at all it's almost like he doesn't notice it. we have had him to the vets but since we forgot about it we didn't show her. here's a picture.

i can't remember if he has had it since birth or not. i know he was young when we first noticed it, but like i said i thought itwas dirt and it just slipped our mind. i feel like a horrible mother

Attachments

·
Kate
21,672 Posts
When you say it's in his skin.... do you mean this is actual skin? Or do you mean the fur is stuck close to the skin?

Did you try washing it off?

Before they figure out how to clean themselves, they sometimes will get pee on their fur in that area. If they are playing outside, I imagine dirt would get clumped in there as well.

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's almost like .. how can i explain this lol.. how the fur grows out it's in his skin, like with the folice in there it's like that but just a bigger amount in one area. and we tried when he was little to wash it off but i didn't (clearly). but it's just seems like its brown fur growing in a clump together

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I'm sorry I know this is frustrating to explain... But when you say "in the skin" you mean like it's a batch of brown fur attached by a follicle?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I personally don't think you have to worry and that it is just stained hairs thrown together into a 'crease'. You could always ask the vet next time you are in.

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont even know what a folice is lol i think i meant to type follicle and got side tracked with trying to explain lol. and yess! lol its like how the fur grows out of him but all bunched together!..

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
How big is the hard spot underneath it? Like a pin, a golf ball...........

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its like a little bigger then a pin but not as big as a golf ball.. how i think of it like is a feather pillow when the feathers start to come out.. i think it might just be all the hair bunched together under there

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont feel like i should be worried.. its like growing with him growing ? lol i'm thinking of it as a birth mark?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I'm trying to Google it but I'm having a hard time finding anything even worth reading.... I'll keep lookin

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Lol I'm really not either... Where are the vets on this post?? Haha

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am not sure about the lump- maybe a large follicle or oil gland, or mole??? Sometimes humans have dark hairs in moles or birth marks and they can get kinda crazy dark clumps of hair?? I am not to worried just by the looks of it and would just watch and ask the vet at his next appointment. If you see any changes or it starts bothering him though I would make an appointment asap.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Finnegan had something that sounds similar. It ended up being a staph issue..treatment was wash every three days x four with chlorhexidrine . I can't be sure but it looks somewhat similar..

·
Registered
506 Posts
I am not sure what you meant by "other side" but is there a chance it is the belly button?

·
Mardovar Goldens
113 Posts
Hi there.

To think of a few common things .. Hard to tell from your photo, but could this patch of hair be positioned around where your dog's navel might be? If so, it could just be some of the hair growling along that line. Another option if it is off to the side of midline, could be a mammary (yes, the boys have 'em too, but they are usually the size of small mosquito bites *smile*). Also you might try tugging (gently) on the browner hair and see whether they are attached to a growth or more buried in the skin's surface.

Hope this helps,
Dodi Borsay Horowitz
Mardovar Goldens

Reactions: My Big Kahuna

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
its not near his belly button or a nipple but when we tug on it, its not attached to a growth but its more buried in the skin surface. where my hand is i'm actually holding his "knee".

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
So its like a tuft of brown hair? What happens when you brush it?

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it's kind of like a tuft of hair. nothing happens when i brush it. the brush just goes through it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts