Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Um.......while at home over lunch Cooper went into our closet and pulled out a pair of my underwear. I saw him chewing on something, when I walked over to him he of course got up and bolted. So I went to go get a treat to entice him to drop it (usually works) and he gulped 'em. I opened his mouth to see if maybe they weren't all the way down but they were gone. Then he's sitting there and swallows like 5 more times to move them down. I'm really scared those won't come back out from either end.

Any advice?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm not expert but I'd say if they don't come out one end or the other within 24 hours call the vet. My puppy has swallowed some things that I didn't even know he got a hold of until he vomited it up or found it in the poop.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
PLEASE....call your Vet IMMEDIATELY!! We almost lost Lexi to a pair of men's stretchy boxer shorts. She was in intensive care for 4 days. Get some advice from your Vet as to what to do. With Lexi, we were gone for the week-end, so didn't even know this had happened. It was a HORRIBLE experience.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Don't induce vomiting unless instructed to by the vet. Things like cloth can get tangled up on the way down or back up.

If he's acting normal and continues eating/drinking/peeing/pooping as normal, then most likely, he'll poop or puke them up. If he starts vomiting or stops eating, or shows any signs of distress, etc. that's a sign that there might be a problem with the digestion of the undies and it's definitely time to go see the vet.

In the meantime, a call to the vet is a good start.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Lily ate mine...game 7 of the Stanley Cup (her timing was impeccable). We called our vet who got us to induce vomiting (the hydrogen peroxide thing). We put her in the car since, unfortunately, she is always sick in the car, and by the time we reached the end of the street, up came my underwear in 3 pieces. She wasn't happy with us but we were relieved!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Daisy did this once. Not mine. My son, when he was still living at home, had someone over while I was at work :uhoh: She went home without her underwear, my son had to fess up, and Daisy threw them up the next day. Pink polka dots. Nice :no:

I hope Cooper is okay. Daisy, and my son, lived to tell :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called my vet and they said the basics.....if he's acting like himself, eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom like normal that it should pass. Vet said 9/10 times they pass but if he starts throwing up bile and no undies to call back and get him in. Unfortunately we work all day tomorrow so hopefully if he's going to throw them up he will while we're around. You know how dogs are about eating what they just threw up, I'd hate to repeat it! He's been acting completely himself, crazy as can be, he also ate his meal tonight so so far so good. I'll keep you posted!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Daisy did this once. Not mine. My son, when he was still living at home, had someone over while I was at work :uhoh: She went home without her underwear, my son had to fess up, and Daisy threw them up the next day. Pink polka dots. Nice :no:

'Kay... um... that's really kinda funny! What a way to get "caught". :uhoh:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought that was funny too Jo Ellen. I wonder how long they tried to search for them until they finally gave up. Hahahaha.

·
Mom to rescue Murphy
191 Posts
Hahahaha! I don't mean to laugh, JoEllen. I know I'll be having the same problems in about 10 years! But I am imagining those kids looking everywhere while the dog is like, "buuuurp."

Hope your pup is OK!

·
Registered
233 Posts

OMG, get out of town!!!!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
One thing I was going to say is to make sure if it starts coming out the other end, dont pull. Because sometimes it can get stuck and cause more problems. Just be careful and hopefully he passes it normally.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts