Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not really ever paid attention before this year, but watching Crufts vs watching the US dog shows, there seems to be a huge difference in the amount of styling? To my untrained eyes, at Crufts, many of the dogs are less "showy" than the US dogs. The setters didn't have the long silky coats that I'm used to seeing in the American ring. Is there any particular reason for this difference?

·
Super Moderator
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They don't crop ears... not sure about tails :) Basically a more natural style for sure.
That I did know! But it definitely looks as if they try to present dogs in a more natural style. None of the setters had the long silky coats like they do in the show ring here, rather it was much shorter and less straight. The Golden was presented much more naturally to my eye. It was really interesting to see the sporting dogs look much more like their sporting counterparts.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yeah, I really like seeing the natural non-blow dried look personally. Only poodles, lhaso apsos, and afghan hounds should look like they just came from the salon IMO.

·
Puddles
3,505 Posts
LOL I sort of have one of each... a show coat dog and a more versatile style. They both love going out in the field, mud and lake or whatever but there is certainly a big difference on what is required to keep them both looking nice. So many people get these over coated dogs only to shave them down and totally understand why! Not that I would ever do this, just saying I understand.

·
Kate
20,875 Posts
I would gather (just my assumption) that for AKC there are more professional handlers raising the bar when it comes to showing the dogs, grooming the dogs for show, and even selecting dogs to show.

The thing that drives me nuts seeing pictures from Crufts is the fact that all the retrievers are groomed like setters.

·
Puddles
3,505 Posts
Setters, really? We shaved our setters neck down to the breast bone to make the neck look longer... I don't see that they shave anything. But then I'm happy to just have their feet trimmed and some off the ears so they don't look like spaniels. That's a really good point about professional handlers, it would certainly take someone with far more expertise than mine to get my girls to look that polished. I admire anyone that can pull off that glamour look!

·
Super Moderator
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would gather (just my assumption) that for AKC there are more professional handlers raising the bar when it comes to showing the dogs, grooming the dogs for show, and even selecting dogs to show.

The thing that drives me nuts seeing pictures from Crufts is the fact that all the retrievers are groomed like setters.
I was wondering that too! The styles are so distinct and I'm surprised that at that level of competition the grooming styles would be so different. But it was only that way, at least I noticed, in the Gundog group. In the Pastoral group, some of the herding breeds were still heavily coated and stylized (looking at you Aussie and BC). There was also a handler in the Pastoral group showing in ripped denim jeans! I have so many questions lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts