Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,
Just reaching out to my fellow UK golden parents……. How are your Golden’s coping with the heat?
My Teddy is 😠 grumpy as he doesn’t understand why after his morning walk he has to wait soooooo long for his second walk. Usually midday but now after 5pm.
Photo of grumpy Teddy and his swimming toy which he got out of his basket to send me a clear message!

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
It's been hot and humid in VA as well....Lola loves to be outside but they're spending a lot of time on the A/C vents in the kitchen right now. I'm sure they sympathize with Teddy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Gorgeous boy!
It’s hard when we’re not used to it, isn’t it?!
When in the house we spend most of our time in our extension at the back as it faces fields and cows but it gets SO hot. We’ve been hosing down the kids and dog often, that seems to be the answer- water. 😆 They’re all soggy but happy. Mango also enjoys sleeping on the shower floor when it’s not on, it must be cooler.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been hot and humid in VA as well....Lola loves to be outside but they're spending a lot of time on the A/C vents in the kitchen right now. I'm sure they sympathize with Teddy.
Argh I think Teddy would love to experience air vents! Do you find Lola giving you the big sad I’m bored eyes?
Our houses aren’t set up for the hot weather. A small fan and an old house that is cold in the winter but cool in the summer is the best Teddy is gonna get!
I did just do some online shopping for cooling jacket and cooling mat.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gorgeous boy!
It’s hard when we’re not used to it, isn’t it?!
When in the house we spend most of our time in our extension at the back as it faces fields and cows but it gets SO hot. We’ve been hosing down the kids and dog often, that seems to be the answer- water. 😆 They’re all soggy but happy. Mango also enjoys sleeping on the shower floor when it’s not on, it must be cooler.
Hosing down the kids made me laugh. I grew up in the country with the sea on one side of our house and a diary farm on the other. Argh I miss the fields and cows, your location sounds nice. Cows are so calming.
Yeah I’ve been hosing Teddy down intermittently. He’s been sleeping on the bathrooms cool tiles. Our walks now are less walking for me and more swimming for him. Even the dog allowed beaches here are too busy with people who don’t like dogs on weekends like this so we’ve been at the river a lot.

·
goldenfan
795 Posts
So hot here my dogs have spent the day under the trees in the shade in the little orchard area I have and then in the house where it is cool. No walks until it is really cool again which it isn't this evening. They spend most of the day sleeping. Annef

·
Registered
658 Posts
Argh I think Teddy would love to experience air vents! Do you find Lola giving you the big sad I’m bored eyes?
Our houses aren’t set up for the hot weather. A small fan and an old house that is cold in the winter but cool in the summer is the best Teddy is gonna get!
I did just do some online shopping for cooling jacket and cooling mat.
Yeah, I didn’t think about you not having the same climate control systems....fortunately we have 2 vents, 1 on each side of the French doors, so....
20210620_100201.jpg
20210620_100151.jpg

Everybody has their own vent. But yes, Lola is definitely bored plus a bit frustrated that Murphy is getting the lion's share of attention right now. He also has a fan to help him stay cool in his crate at night
20210716_074416.jpg

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So hot here my dogs have spent the day under the trees in the shade in the little orchard area I have and then in the house where it is cool. No walks until it is really cool again which it isn't this evening. They spend most of the day sleeping. Annef
Orchard sounds lovely. I did contemplate not walking Teddy but he gets so upset…. He’ll keep coming to me with various toys but he doesn’t want to play….he wants out!

·
charlie's Mum
96 Posts
Just picked up on this. Sounds very much like Charlie. We live in East Anglia and often pick up the cloud from the North Sea so not always such hot weather. When it is hot we get up early and walk to the river for her to have a good swim. Trouble is, the earlier we are the earlier she wants to go for her second walk and as that entails ball games it is not always possible. Plus she is a very fastidious madam and will not do anything in the garden. But hey; this is the UK. We will be plodding through the mud freezing cold before too long.:cool:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took my youngster out just before 10pm last night and it was still really warm. Annef
How old is your youngster? Are they frustrated or tired from the heat?
We took Teddy out at 7pm but drove straight to the river beach for his to swim and paddle. Only let him have 30 minutes there to be safe. He wasn’t keen to leave!

·
goldenfan
795 Posts
My youngster is 51/2 months and not really affected by the heat. It is my 13 year old that is finding it hard. Bathed the 4 older ones this week and let them dry in the sun so that helped one day but have kept the blinds down and windows open and they have coped so far pretty well. I am taking her to a ringcraft class tonight at 7pm so hope it will be cool enough for her (The 11month old is in season and the heat is having no effect on her at all) Annef

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Teddy and I ventured out at 6.30pm for a slow amble on the shady side of the street. He’d been swimming this morning and I thought it would be good to give his coat a rest of the river.
Sooooo we tried a cooling coat! See photo. That’s not Teddy that’s one of Jenny Clarke’s from sunny oak Golden’s. She actually makes and sells the coats. Not a plug, plenty of other options online.
It worked great, Teddy seemed really happy trotting along in the shade in it. The coat stayed wet and he stayed cool.
Although I kept our stroll short and probably looked odd fastidiously sticking to the shadey side of the street.

Ps sorry actually no photo of the coat, weirdly there post won’t let me add an attachment. It’s all greyed out🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool coats are brilliant provided they don't dry out.
Cool coats are brilliant provided they don't dry out.
Yeah I did find myself constantly checking it on the way back. It got less wet but didn’t dry out and it remained cool. But I think there would be times it’s best to take it off or have a cold bottle of water to pour over the coat.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think Mango’s finally twigged what his cooling mat is for. He’s always treated it like a toy to chew and dig (which meant we took it away again) but today he kept lying on it to sleep. Success!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts