Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.. I'm new to this forum, I found it through Google search. :wave:

Anyway.. I just adopted two puppies that were going to be thrown in the garden all day and left alone.. I'm a guy & I'm most of the time at home.. I have a German Shepherd, & a Jack Russell Terrier now we have the latest addition to my ever growing family, Marley & Bella! I adopted these two littermates (male and female) and I thought it was cute that they were so close and stuff.. But I went online and I read HORRIBLE things about littermates and it really scared me.. How can I make them successful individual puppies, listen to me, etc. I've read that when you have littermates they depend on each other.. and not you and that is a big no no for me. Please help guys. I need some successful littermate stories, please do not bring hate & answers I'm not looking for here.. Thank you guys so much.

Main info:
One male.
One female.
2 months each.
Very nice, very cute, and very calm. They both sleep in my room. Also sorry if this is in the wrong section.. Sincerely a confused freaked out dog owner!:uhoh::uhoh: :no:

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
Hi, welcome to GRF! I can't help because I've never had litter mates but there are several people on here that do and I'm sure they'll give you some advice. Being a holiday weekend it may take longer but they'll be around.
Congrats on your extended family! We need pics :)

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I've never had littermates either but happened to be out a little while ago and ran into a man walking 2 Goldens. When I asked him how old, he said five years and that they were littermates. One was lighter and one reddish. They looked like well adjusted dogs. So good luck, it can be done.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! And bless you for rescuing the two pups. I have no expertise about littermates, but others here do. Our search tool might help.

Also, I'm going to move your post to the Puppy Forum, since you already have the twin babies.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
They needs training time and cuddle time separately. Lots of respectful bonding with their humans. Litter-mates can keep doggie behaviors longer such as nipping/bitting, barking, digging, hard wrestling play. These are all natural in the doggie world and when we take a puppy home we usually teach them it is not acceptable. Litter-mates constantly remind each other this is normal and keep many of the doggie behaviors we don't want going. Litter mates respect each other first and put their human second. You need to be consistent teaching them what you expect to behave. Many think litter mates will make each other better behaved because they will wear each other out. Just remember they don't teach each other the good behaviors but usually double up on the bad ones. Consistency and spend lots of time with them over the next couple of years teaching them what they need.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Hang in there. Haven't done it myself, but I'm guessing it's like with human twins--they need training, socializing, playing, etc., without the other around. They need to learn the world on their own two feet. They'll still have a really tight sibling bond I bet.

Welcome to GRF! As Joyce said, we really do need pics! :)

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
Years ago I had two littermates (shelties, not goldens), both males. I, too, learned afterwards about the possible issues that could arise and was advised to take both through a puppy class and at least one more class after that but to take them separately. Personality-wise, they turned out totally different and I had no problems with them listening or bonding to me rather than each other. When I lost one to CRF at the age of 14-1/2, the other did seem to go into a depression and shortly thereafter was also diagnosed with CRF. I lost him about 8 months after his brother.

Good luck with your two--you can make it work! :)

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I currently have one set of littermates and another set that are essentially littermate(born eight days apart at my house). Mine are different than most because they never left their birthplace and never had to go to a strange home having only each other. The other thing is that the girls had separate careers from the boys...the girls were out showing, so they learned how to be apart. And like you, I have many more dogs,so they always have another support system.

It is very important to do things separately. Go to the vets separately. Take them on separate walks, separate car rides, etc. I have a client who didn't do any of that, so they both have to come to the vets when only one of them needs vet care.

The down sides for me were several: they will both be geriatric at the same time(my older ones are three weeks shy of 11), I found it harder to housetrain two at the same time. And then it was double the obedience training as well. And in my older pair, my boy has certainly aged more quickly than his sister. The up side is that I had two pups from the first litter I ever bred that I just adore. Both sets got housetrained, obedience trained... 3 of 4 got their CGC's and 2 of 4 got obedience titles(have not tried with the other two).

I think if you have already had experience with the dogs you have, you should do fine with the new ones you have...and make sure if you are crating them, they are in separate crates!

·
Becca
9 Posts
Hi :) we're getting ready to welcome home our two new additions who are litter mates as well. We are pretty nervous about the horror stories as well but we are planning on putting them in obedience school right away and they are going through training separately. For us one dog will be my husbands and the other will be mine so were planning on giving them lots of attention separately to try and keep them adjusted and of course lots of socialization. Good luck. :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Penny and Maggie are littermates. We got them as pups and it's been a wonderful experience ( they're 9 1/2 now). At the time, we didn't know any better but for us it's been great. We did always give them individual time. They both went to obedience class, and while we do tons of stuff together, especially when they were young, they were walked separately, taken places separately. I think the fear with littermates is that they'll bond more to themselves rather than their humans. Giving them each individual time every day does much to negate this.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I have to say, I have refused to sell pups to people who want two littermates, but I see so many clients who do not make the proper effort..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I currently have one set of littermates and another set that are essentially littermate(born eight days apart at my house). Mine are different than most because they never left their birthplace and never had to go to a strange home having only each other. The other thing is that the girls had separate careers from the boys...the girls were out showing, so they learned how to be apart. And like you, I have many more dogs,so they always have another support system.

It is very important to do things separately. Go to the vets separately. Take them on separate walks, separate car rides, etc. I have a client who didn't do any of that, so they both have to come to the vets when only one of them needs vet care.

The down sides for me were several: they will both be geriatric at the same time(my older ones are three weeks shy of 11), I found it harder to housetrain two at the same time. And then it was double the obedience training as well. And in my older pair, my boy has certainly aged more quickly than his sister. The up side is that I had two pups from the first litter I ever bred that I just adore. Both sets got housetrained, obedience trained... 3 of 4 got their CGC's and 2 of 4 got obedience titles(have not tried with the other two).

I think if you have already had experience with the dogs you have, you should do fine with the new ones you have...and make sure if you are crating them, they are in separate crates!
Thank you for this amazing post. It is very informative, clear & right to the point! So.. the main thing is keeping them apart, separate sleeping places, separate vets appointments, separate eating places, etc. :) :crossfing

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Yes (although ours all eat together in the kitchen). To us it was just common sense to balance times together with times apart..... just as with your kids or spouse.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you so much for the warm welcomes, congrats & goodlucks! I'm so happy to be here and to have found this forum. I shall post photos of Marley & Bella & keep you guys updated! They are currently with me and they are safe. If anyone has any more stories, expirence or anything I would love to hear/read it all, the good & the ugly!

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,603 Posts
They are so adorable.

I haven't had a pup in 18 years, so I have no tips or advice to give you. You've gotten some very good information from others.

Best of luck to you, looking forward to hearing how they are doing and seeing lots of pictures.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Very cute pups!

·
Registered
12,912 Posts
OMG - how could you NOT take in those two little sweet faces?? They are absolute gems.

I have no advice, but I just want to say welcome and I hope you stick around here. There is so much wisdom here. I think, given you are aware of some of the challenges involved, you will make the right decisions around raising them. Good luck! You have a very full house!

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Marley and Bella are ADORABLE! They will be lots of hard work but you will have so much fun, and then 2 well behaved beautiful golden's when they're grown up. Keep us posted how you're getting on with them. There is lots of info and help available on here.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts