Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Tysen swallowed a piece of deer antler

14K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  GoldenJoyx'stwo 
#1 · (Edited)
Somehow he managed to chew off a piece of deer antler and swallow it I guess. All I know is the antler is shorter and I can't find the other piece anywhere. I also heard Tysen chewing very loudly earlier-I should have checked it out!

So I'm not exactly sure how big the piece he possibly swallowed is but I would guess approx. 1/2-1 inch. He is showing no signs of distress as of now.

Anything I can do besides see if he passes it?

#2 ·
I have heard that you can give him bread. It helps to bind around pieces. But if he starts try and throw up or problems pottying I would get him into the vet. Hopefully you will find the piece and he didnt eat it. Guess it is time to throw out that antler.

#3 ·
I would think he's gonna be OK, even if he swallowed the missing piece. I would watch him, make sure he goes #2. You should see the missing piece by tomorrow, it comes out pretty quick!

Chewie is horrible at eating stuff, just the other day I found a stuffed toy they had in his poo. Don't know about this dog!

#4 ·
Are you sure he swallowed it, and didn't just wear it down? I have been amazed at how much and how quickly my one girl can take an antler down when she goes to town on it. A small piece like that is pretty difficult to break off, unless it is an Antlerz product-they are softer than regular antlers and do break apart.

If it is only a piece about 1/2", I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep an eye on him.

#6 ·
Well no I'm not positive but he has had the antler for a long time and when I looked at it a while ago there was a significant chunk missing. I guess it's possible he wore it down because I thought they would be difficult to break off as well, but I've never seen him chew on anything enough to wear an antler down that fast.

I will be keeping an eye on him though, hoping he passes it so I at least know what happened to the piece. Antler is in the trash already.

#5 ·
After seeing a whole corn cob transit Caue's system I would not worry too much about a small chunk of deer antler. Like the others have said, keep a close eye on all poops and changes in activity levels. If you see anything unusual it will be time to call the vet.

#7 ·
If only it were that easy. He caught a stomach bug at daycare (vet says its possible) so he is already not eating much and having diarrhea and sleeping a lot! So this will be a little bit harder to determine but I've got my eye on him!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.