Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 18 month old female and 8 week old female. They are full sisters. My older girl wants to play...all existing and getting along personality wise. Nothing negative between them or interaction. She brings her toys to play.

But I’ve noticed...

18 month old is refusing to take treats if I give puppy a treat at same time. She only ate half of her morning meal yesterday. She saw the puppy drink out of the community water bowl and has now decided she doesn’t want to drink out of it either. She literally led me to the toilet because the lid is down because she knows there’s water in it. Therefore, I put up her collapsible water bowl in an area puppy can’t get so she will drink out of it.

I am sure there’s a bit of jealousy going on and I know she won’t starve or dehydrate herself. She’s getting lots of love and extra play time with us.

Is it common for an older dog to have odd behaviors? Certainly not my first intro of a puppy to a current dog. But first one to have these odd habits forming!

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Completely normal. All the sudden the bed that the dog used is occupied by the puppy now, and the dog won’t use it. Same with toys.
You can minimize this by having an exercise pen for the puppy, so that the dog can be king for a while. Make sure also to treat dog before puppy, feed dog before puppy, and let dog through doorway first. Don’t prioritize puppy over dog or there will be more unrest and will get worse with age.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All is fine now. They share the same bowl for water and eat treats from the same hand. Now I’m chopped liver lol. I’ve been very specific about 1:1 time and she lasts for about 5-10 mins before she wants the puppy and not me. She was used to a dog who liked her but wasn’t interested in “playing” with her.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Be careful on sharing a bowl. I had a very fat puppy and a skinny dog at one point in time. Had to separate them due to over eating puppy!

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
I hope you have it’s of fun. Looks like they will be great pals

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope you have it’s of fun. Looks like they will be great pals
Oh we are. Full sisters with two totally different personalities! I think my 19 month old golden has finally stopped looking so serious and is smiling!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts