Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday night while I was at dinner Miles at two entire loaves of white bread!
I had been grocery shopping and had left them on the table, I came home to find nothing left but the plastic.
He hasn't eaten since then, but other than that he'd been doing fine until last night when he started vomiting up the bread. All day he was his normal hyper-active self. But as the vomiting began he's be come sluggish. And today he's had a touch of diarrhea. He's still drinking his water normally though.
I think he's ok, just has a bad tummy ache from all the bread!

Attachments

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
just be careful that he doesn't get a bit of a blockage from the wrappers....
dogs!!! the things they do!!!

·
Premium Member
18,456 Posts
Vomiting up the bread is actually helpful, he needs to get it out of his stomach and not try to disgest. What's left will digest though, he should be ok.

I had a foster dog eat 18 hot dog buns and a loaf of bread, he swelled up like two watermelons, we gave him hydrogen peroxide right away to induce vomiting, and he looked visibly much happier with an empty stomach!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Vomiting up the bread is actually helpful, he needs to get it out of his stomach and not try to disgest. What's left will digest though, he should be ok.

I had a foster dog eat 18 hot dog buns and a loaf of bread, he swelled up like two watermelons, we gave him hydrogen peroxide right away to induce vomiting, and he looked visibly much happier with an empty stomach!
Oh my, I hope the foster dog was adopted out with a warning--keep the bread away and off of the countertops!
Barkley ate one slice of wheat bread a well meaning neighbor left out for the birds (though he gets a lot of rats that way too :yuck:). He ended up having doggie digestive issues for about a week. Probiotics helped when we put him back on solid food. He was allergic to the wheat in the bread.
Toby ate half a cannister of oats and half a jar of peanut butter in a week's span and had major issues. Later he opened and ate an entire jar of honey roasted almonds, then about 1/4 of a Costco size container of Nesquik. After that DH figured out keeping things on the countertops wasn't a good thing. I learned that years ago when he ate my cellphone.

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Thanks everyone.

You may not have seen me on here much recently. My work place blocked GRF, so I can only visit from home now.
Haha that is my worst nightmare right there...

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
I sure hope Miles continues to pass the overdose of bread. These kids of ours..............

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I would call the nearest ER vet.
Two loaves of bread is a lot of fiber to ingest at once. Too much fiber can cause severe constipation.
And I would worry since a friend lost her dog to bloat after eating an entire loaf of bread.

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
What a naughty Piggy! :no: He won't learn his lesson either. I guess you learned yours. :p:

Griff on 2 different occasions - about a year apart ate 13 homemade waffles and another time at 15 corn muffins.

I wouldn't feed him for a day or so - that's a LOT for his belly. Silly pupper!

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Abby only likes sourdough bread, she will leave whole wheat. I was pumping gas once with doggies in the car after grocery shopping and she ate half a loaf while I was standing outside the car! I toasted the first two slices that were left and gave them to DH for breakfast :)

Abby was fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts