Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 14mo old (Jake) and last September i adopted Emmy who is a 10mo old from a rescue group. when i got her she had a broken leg and just got her splint off last month. when they are in the same room together they are constantly on each other biting, chasing and holding each other down. i know they are just playing but sometimes i worry he is being too rough with her. any suggestions on how to get these 2 younguns to not play so rough.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
That sounds like the way it is in my house with my two boys. Usually if one gets out of line the other will let them know. Are you worried about her leg after her being off of it for so long?

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to GRF. Please make yourself at home here. It sounds like you have two very normal adolescent goldens. They do play rough but you can teach them to "Get a Toy" to play tug with. In the beginning get a good tug toy like a rope toy or a Wubba and offer them both and end of it. It may take a few weeks but they will get the idea. Soon you will find them instigating play using the toys.

We would love to see some pictures of your pups.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i guess i am a little paranoid about the leg. i still take her outside on a leash as the vet said it takes a good 6 months to completely heal. they have toys they play tug of war with but after a couple minutes the toy drops and they are biting each others neck. they just get sooo rough with each other. Jake has been thru so many toys. he can destroy a toy in about 2 days. we have been thru multiple Wubba's and i recently bought one of the stuffless animals because he will destuff in a matter of a day. i have never had 2 dogs at once so this is a totally new experience for me. i am new to the forums and once i figure out how to add in pics i will be sure to post some.

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
It sounds just like at our house. I usually just let them be, but if they start getting too excited I'll clap my hands or call their names. It just helps to break their concentration. Of course it starts right over, but at a lower level. I can see why you would be concerned about her leg (been there-done that) so I did not allow my Lacey to raise up on her hind legs to play until we had a total release from the Vet. As far as stuffed toys, I get mine at the Goodwill or Salvation Army store. Look for ones with no moving parts, etc. The good thing is they are so cheap - usually only $1 or $2 each.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts