Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you have dealt with this before, so I am seeking the wisdom of the board. Up until yesterday both of my 10 week old boys have been doing just fine with solid stools. Jack started having diarrhea yesterday, and now both he and Clark have loose stools. Jack even had a little bloody tinge just barely on his last one. What could cause both to get diarrhea suddenly with no change in diet? They are both just as active and playing. Any advice is appreciated.

Christina

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I would go get them tested for coccidia. A very common, treatable bacterial infection that spreads easily.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I think I would get them into the vet first thing in the morning. Hope it is something minor.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I would ask for a complete fecal, including coccidia and giardia. You have to ask for the last two, as they are done with different methods than just checking for worms.

·
Registered
16,391 Posts
I agree about giardia. Flagyl is an excellent cure.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: Our vet did fecal studies on Jack and Clark and checked for worms, Giardia and coccidia. They prescribed Flagyl for both of them and they are already improving. Thanks to everyone again for the advice.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Update: Our vet did fecal studies on Jack and Clark and checked for worms, Giardia and coccidia. They prescribed Flagyl for both of them and they are already improving. Thanks to everyone again for the advice.
Oops, I posted before I saw this! Which did it end up being? Glad they are already starting to feel better!! :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oops, I posted before I saw this! Which did it end up being? Glad they are already starting to feel better!! :)

What they found were rods in the stool that were precursors for worms to return. They had worms as I discovered after their previous deworming (saw many dead worms in their stool afterwards) and hadn't had any problems since then until this bout with diarrhea. Since giving the FLagyl yesterday and today there are far less bowel movements going on and they are firming up. Flagyl = miracle drug for puppies!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Glad they are feeling better. It is so scary when they are sick and cant tell us what is wrong.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts