Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back from a cold, wet, muddy weekend in Ohio with two ribbons to show for our efforts. Master was tough this weekend. Only 8 out of 30 in my flight passed, and the other flight lost a lot of dogs in the third series as well, but I did not hear yet what the pass ration was, but know that only 3 of my 10 friends in that flight passed there. Breeze got dropped in Master over an interpretational issue, which sucked--I would rather have the dog put itself out!

Bonnie was entered in JH both days. On Saturday she was high as a kite and had hunts on the first bird on both land and water--but they were smart, contained hunts, thank goodness. On Sunday she made a beeline to all of her marks--10's all round on marking there. Lots of dogs failed on water both days--refusing to get in, or getting distracted by the decoys, and so on. I nearly had a heart attack waiting on the holding blind on Sunday as there is a resident flock of ducks on the pond we were using. Butch flushed a bunch of them out of the cover when he went to get the second bird as test dog, and he ended up on the shore. They swam right in front of the dog before me and got her completely distracted--she ended up chasing them all over the pond and had to have a re-run later. Luckily she scared them away, and Bonnie had a beautiful run! Now she needs just one more pass!

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Two out of three ain't bad. Congratulations on the passes. Sorry to hear about Breeze's bum rap.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Congrats Shelly and Bon Bon!!!

I know a bunch of Darrin's students were heading there this weekend. I am glad I didn't because of the weather. It was cold.

Sorry about the Master test. Do you have any more for this year?

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Those darn real ducks will get those dogs everytime lol we had them on one pond at the first test I ever went too messed up alot of dogs. Too bad that Breeze got dropped that sux. Congrats on Bonnies wins.

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
Two out of three is great!! Sorry about Master, that's a shame. There are good ways and bad ways to fail, and that was not a good way.
Do you have any more master tests this year?

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all!
Ann, I was in the other flight from Darrin's crew, but roomed with Judy M, and we all went out to dinner together on SAturday. We were a bit rowdy--think we shocked the people at the next table but we had fun!

We are back in Ohio for Buckeye this coming weekend. Breeze in Master, and Bonnie in both Juniors. If they don't do it there it will be spring for us. Cross your fingers for us!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Congrats you did well considering the factors in the test. Hard to train with access to live ducks swimming around. Sounds like a judging issue not going to see many live ducks tooling around in a NORMAL DAYS HUNT

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
Good luck, I hope you get the last pass before the winter!

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Thanks all!
Ann, I was in the other flight from Darrin's crew, but roomed with Judy M, and we all went out to dinner together on SAturday. We were a bit rowdy--think we shocked the people at the next table but we had fun!
The ladies were rowdy talking about it on Thursday. LOL Judy wasn't there that day but the others. Darrin was just shaking his head. Wondering if he was going to have to breathalize them before they walked to the line. LOL Glad you had a great time, that is the most important part, having fun. Hope I can travel with all of you some day.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats you did well considering the factors in the test. Hard to train with access to live ducks swimming around. Sounds like a judging issue not going to see many live ducks tooling around in a NORMAL DAYS HUNT
I'm lucky (I guess?!?) that one of the ponds I train on is home to a large flock of Canada geese, so my guys get used to running marks and blinds in and around them! It was a bit much for some of the dogs to handle though. Luckily the little lab who ran before us got a re-run--the judges were very fair about that. Not much they could do about it--the only other water available to them there was very technical and way too cheaty for Junior, so they just took it into consideration.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The ladies were rowdy talking about it on Thursday. LOL Judy wasn't there that day but the others. Darrin was just shaking his head. Wondering if he was going to have to breathalize them before they walked to the line. LOL Glad you had a great time, that is the most important part, having fun. Hope I can travel with all of you some day.
Yeah, they are bugging me that I need to put Darrin or one of them down as the 2nd handler so I get in the same flight as them and we can all be naughty in the gallery together!

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats Shelly! Would love to see Bon Bon.......maybe 2013? She's 1/2 Texan right : )
Thanks! We are planning on aiming for 2012 when she and her brother will still be derby age, and there will be a hunt test to run as well. That, and I can get to St. Louis in a day! We probably will not be able to get to Texas in 2013--taking that time off work unpaid two years in a row would be tough, especially if an extra travel day is needed on each end.;)

And I do try to keep the Texas spirit with her--wear my Boulet's when it is dry!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I'm lucky (I guess?!?) that one of the ponds I train on is home to a large flock of Canada geese, so my guys get used to running marks and blinds in and around them! It was a bit much for some of the dogs to handle though. Luckily the little lab who ran before us got a re-run--the judges were very fair about that. Not much they could do about it--the only other water available to them there was very technical and way too cheaty for Junior, so they just took it into consideration.
I actually got lucky with Gunner the other day. Just happened to be a Mallard Drake on the water so I let him investigate and as soon as he figured out he couldn't catch it tossed a bumper to the other side of the pond. But he will be getting mostly birds the rest of the week not bumpers.
St. Louis might be a little early for us we will have to see but 2013 is definite. What heck is a Boulet??? Is that those funny little hats they wear in Dallas???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts