Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve been a member of this forum for years now but seldom have posted. I think I’m going to try and do that now.
Let me start at the beginning. 13 years ago, I was given the “Perfect Dog”, everyone called her that, not just me. Her real name was “Bree” or my BB, my heart dog. She was oh so smart, and gorgeous, and with me every minute of the day. 2 years later I picked out another beautiful puppy- BB’s real sister (same parents), and brought sweet “Indy” home. I placed this puppy in front of Bree and BB looked at me like “Is she really for me?” and immediately took on the roll as Indy’s new mommy I gave Bree a cookie that day and she walked over and dropped it in front of Indy… what kind of dog gives up their treat to another animal … Bree that’s who. Bree became Indy's "rock" and the two were so inseparable they became known as the GG’s, the Golden Girls.
As the years went by Bree and I became a Certified Therapy team with LOAL . She was made for that work. As she aged, I remember Bree was getting tired and wanted to leave a rest home one day when a man was wheeled into the room. Even though she was tired Bree stopped, turned back around and wouldn’t leave until she had met and stayed with this man for quite some time. This dog that always minded me refused to leave. The man couldn’t talk but later a nurse told me he had cancer and recently lost his own dog. I had no idea, but Bree did. And when Bree became too old and was retired from therapy work, Indy proudly became certified and wore that banner at Colleges, high schools and rest homes, but her real gift for this work was the library, where “she” taught English learners and spectrum children to read.
Then last September 2018, Bree became very sick. And at 80lbs we blanket carried her – to Vet visits, to bed, outside to lay on the grass in the warm sun, then inside again. We lifted her between us on the couch each night, we hand fed her, and we changed her pee-pads and for a month listened to our 3 different Vets who kept telling us they thought she would get better and to give her more time. And she did, and she walked again and played ball again, and went for car rides again like she’d never been sick…..until November 16, 2018 at 13 years, 13 days old when she had a massive stroke. Our Vet came, and out on our lawn in the sun where she loved to be, I said goodbye to my beautiful Bree. My heart is still breaking and every time I try to talk about her, I literally can’t breathe.
Last October Indy began to limp and Vets told us it was sever arthritis but it got worse and worse. And now, not even 3 months since losing Bree we’ve learned that our sweet-sweet Indy girl has Osteosarcoma and not arthritis. She has good days and bad days, it's a living Catch22. Right now, I think, she has quality of life. She’s still the family “Pet-hog” and wants to be near all the time and (with help) has decided to claim Bree’s old spot on the couch. She even walked this weekend to supervise when we were outside stacking firewood to make sure we did it right. She’s on Cyproheptadine (appetite stimulant), and on Tramadol for pain, both of which seemed to help but I'm not so sure this week. But this is bone cancer and at her age ambutation isn't something I'm willing to put her through just to give us another few months with her. So, she's gotten more lethargic over this week and very soon we’ll go down that same horrible path. I hate this, she was supposed to be with us at least another couple of years not a week or two. I tried to do everything to keep the GG's healthy but I know it just life. Indy is so sweet and beautiful, and has loved us just shy of 11 beautiful years and I need to thank and let her know I love her so I'll do this for her and I know BB is waiting for her.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,197 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss of Bree, what a special girl she was.
I pray you have many days ahead with Indy yet to come.

·
Kristy
9,483 Posts
I'm so sorry for your heartache, your girls sound so amazing. And they are beautiful together. " I tried to do everything to keep the GG's healthy but I know it just life..," You know, you DID keep them healthy for a long time. Goldens are medium to large breed dogs and you did a great job getting them so far. It's a win to get a golden to double digits and you succeeded with both your girls.

Allow yourself to mourn Bree and try your best to make the most of your days with Indy. I hope you will share more photos and stories when you are able, I think it helps to talk to people who understand. My heart goes out to you, losing two so close together is terribly hard.

(I worry about how empty your home will be in the future, have you considered doing a little research and getting on a future puppy list so that you give yourself time to mourn but won't be years in a home without a dog? It can be such a long process..... Missing the individual dog you've lost is so hard, but when you're a dog person, a house isn't really a home without a dog.) Thinking of you and praying for your strength....

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
I am so sorry. That really is terrible to lose Bree and then get Indy's diagnosis so soon. Try and take it one day at a time and enjoy the days left with Indy. You clearly give your dogs a great life and are unselfish in loving them enough not to let them suffer.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I'm so sorry for what you're going through. It's so not fair that they're not with us for so much longer than they are.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
aS i READ your story, Im tearing up, knowing ive had to put down my two best friends within 6 mos. of each other...It's not easy. your girls sound like they had a wonderful life together... And you will know when it's time for indy to meet her sister Bree...I will keep you all in my prayers..So sorry you have to go through this...

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like the GG's had a wonderful life with you and it's awful that you might lose Indy so soon after Bree.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm so sorry. It's SO hard, and I know the feeling of not being able to breath. We lost our sweet Jax to HSA on Oct.19, 2017. When we got the diagnosis I remember not being able to breath, and the blood rushing to my head. It was so awful, and when we had to say goodbye it was gut wrenching. I have felt so cheated, because he was only 7 and we didn't get a long life with him. Fast forward to last week, and we had to say goodbye to our old Beagle. With him it is easier because we have expected it due to his old age and he had a good long life with us, but it is still hard, and losing them a little over a year apart seems just too much.

HUGS! I hope you find some comfort here.

·
5,171 Posts
I've tearing up reading your story. I'm so sorry you're going through this, I will keep you all in my prayers.

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
I'm so sorry you're going through this. You gave them a wonderful life. Kind thoughts coming your way.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
To all of you who took the time to respond and those that read this post I want to thank you for all your prayers but also to let you know we lost our beautiful Indy last Wednesday 2/20/19.

Indy had several rough days and nights. I think in part due to bad/cold/snowy weather but definitely due to the cancer. Last Tuesday night was especially hard on her so that Wednesday my husband and I went down this same horrible path that we went through just 3 short months ago with Indy's sister Bree, my heart dog.

Indy was so sick. And by the time we learned the real diagnosis, Osteosarcoma, she was out of time. But like Bree, Indy was a strong beautiful girl that didn't want to give up. Right to the end she was acting like the perfectly trained loving Therapy dog to our Vet (who she loved). She was excited that our Vet and his assistant had come to visit her and all she wanted from them was petting and then more petting. I love these pictures that I've posted, they show her as I remember her - healthy, sweet, beautiful, funny, and most of all loving

Nolefan, we actually have a 3rd golden who'll be 3 in April. Her name is Rae -I'm a Star Wars fan :nerd: She's a sweetheart that was terribly scared when younger resulting in confidence challenges, but we're addressing those and she’s getting stronger. Rae’s missing Indy (and Bree) terribly and seems so lost and I think this has thrown her backwards a bit so I want to give all my time to her right now which I couldn’t do if I brought a new dog home. And it also wouldn’t be fair to a new dog because my heart just isn’t in doing that now.

Here's an older picture of a young Rae with her adopted momma Indy and one of Indy 5 years ago while playing in the snow with my grandson and his dog. And then one of Indy Bree and Rae in happier days :--heart:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of Indy. I know how hard it is to grieve one- I can't even imagine losing 2 within such a short amount of time. Hugs.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,197 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your loss of Indy, I know all of you are missing her.
Great pictures filled with so many wonderful memories.

My thoughts are with you all.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your beautiful Indy and Bree. I too lost both my two sweet girls (in my profile picture) at the end of 2017 within a week of each other. My heart goes out to you.

·
Zeyadeen
158 Posts
So Sorry for what you are going through and I'am out of words, i pray that god give you the strength to deal with this situation, our prayer and thoughts are with you and your family.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh, I feel your pain & am so very sorry for it. On Jan 4 I lost my beloved, Barley at 13. Much too young. Am still grieving and when I cry my new baby rushes over to console me. The GG sound so special & please comfort yourself with knowing you are the best golden mom any dog could ever have. I wish you well with Indy . Kisses to him from me & my Brock.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Meant to say to her, not him. So sorry I read the older post & now see you have suffered another loss. What a sad time yet Rae will console you I'm sure

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
I am so very sorry for the loss of your precious pups, it must be absolutely heartbreaking. If you like their names added to The Rainbow Bridge List, please let me know the date of their passing and I will add Bree and Indy. Once again so very sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all again for the beautiful words and especially your prayers.

Swishywagga …. Thank you that would be nice.

Bree was my own support dog as well as a certified Therapy dog. Bree was born on November 3, 2005 and passed on November 16, 2018.

Indy was Bree's real sister and also became a certified Therapy dog. Their whole lives Indy followed Bree everywhere, Bree was her "rock". Indy was born on St Patricks day March 17, 2009 and passed last week on February 20, 2019, just 3 month after her sister.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts