Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I should be getting my puppy around the last week of April. My boyfriend and I are currently living in separate apartments, but will be moving into a house in June. I work during the day, but my boyfriend works from home. During the first month or so, my plan was to drop the puppy off at my boyfriend's before I go to work (7:30 am) and pick him up on my way home (3:30-4ish). That way, my boyfriend can walk him during the day and play with him a bit.

I guess my question is, will this be too confusing for the dog? Like I said, we'll be living in the same place soon after (and I don't work during the summer).

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
We did this with Bentley when we first got him. Everyday I dropped him off at my mother-in-laws and then picked him up on the way home. It worked out perfectly and as a bonus Bentley LOVES riding in the car and happily jumps in and goes to sleep. I don't think your puppy will be confused at all. It will just be the routine.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think the bigger question is whether you are as sure your boyfriend is bought into the care it takes for a puppy. It's almost like you are showing up with a new baby. If not you will either to find a different solution...or a different boyfriend. Just kidding!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the bigger question is whether you are as sure your boyfriend is bought into the care it takes for a puppy. It's almost like you are showing up with a new baby. If not you will either to find a different solution...or a different boyfriend. Just kidding!
Haha, he's definitely a dog lover. In fact, I'm slightly worried about him getting no work done just being so fixated on the dog!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I think it will be great for the pup to get the exposure of car rides and possibly doing different things..will make a well rounded dog!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Glad to hear your boyfriend is a dog lover. We have had puppies of various breeds and there is just something extra special about a golden puppy. Just remember that most of the "puppy grind" lasts for less than six months. You boyfriend may need to divert some of his work to the evening when you are home for that short period of time. It is good training and learning for what is required of parents. Good luck in your new journeys.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
We have two houses and from the time the pups came to us they know that Friday we drive to the country place and Sunday's come home. Though both are not good riding in cars, they love going and being with family. Over the months it is routine now and dogs wonder when we stay in town and don't go. Your babe will be fine and a great way to handle him while young. He will do great.

·
Registered
13,073 Posts
I think it sounds like an absolutely perfect situation. How lucky that your pup will have someone with him all day, to do the crucial housetraining, and help keep him exercised and happy. Also, I agree - the more experiences at a young age, the better.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
My dogs have dual households. 4 nights a week they are with me and 3 nights a week they stay at my parents house. The are fine. My parents and brother give more treats than I do. My says they are her grand dogs so he has to spoil them. If mom is not working 1-3 of the dogs will be with her. Depends on if the dogs come when I call to pick them up. If they want to say with her and she doesn't have work that day I leave them and pick them up later.

Cozy and Buddy always come home with me. The other 3 I never know somedays.

As long as you and him agree on the housebreaking routine you pup will thrive.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
We did a couple of moves with Brady - small house to apartment to big house with acreage. What I discovered that he adjusted immediately to all, and it was the people he was with that mattered - not the house or the yard.

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
Our collie spends his mornings and afternoons at our house. At night he goes home with my sister.

This is IDEAL because my sister lives on a tiny lot with nothing between it and the road but a little patch of woods and there isn't that much running room for him there.

Couple things to keep in mind though - because the collie spends most of his waking hours at our house, he kinda has a closer bond with my mom. When they all went on an overnight trip and left Arth with me and Jack... Arth was happy to see my sister and niece, but he was ecstatic to see my mom.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I agree with all the previous posters--it sounds like a great situation and I bet he'll do fine.

You might want to have a small bag of stuff that goes back and forth from house to house with the puppy. Maybe a mat to sleep on (or the actual crate if not too much hassle) and some toys.

I agree about the two of you agreeing on the house-training so that it's consistent in both locations. You might want to decide on the words your'e going to use for basic commands, too, so they all stay the same.

Have fun! Sounds like this going to be a much-loved puppy!

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
we actually did this with moose. i lived at home and he lived at home when we first got him. i only work 1 week a month and during the time we got him my boyfriend was away a lot studying to the UFE. but we kept moose at him house. i would go up everyday and take him for walks and whatnot. and when my boyfriend was away i would stay there with him. i couldn't take him home cause i have 3 dogs home, and oddly enough the smallest dog wasn't a fan and constly nipped at him. but i don't think it phased him. now since we bought a house i think he just knows i'm here constly with him now. it didn't seem to bother him at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts