Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an almost three year old Golden male, we are planning on getting a new golden female puppy this winter/spring. Only hesitation is he is like our spoiled only child in terms of attention and affection and my husband and I worry about him sharing the attention. He loves to play with other dogs but when we pet sit my sisters dog he does easily get jealous if the other dog is sitting on the couch with me or I am petting the other dog not him. I assume he'll get over it with time and spend time playing with the new puppy versus seeking attention from us at times but at the end of the day he does love other dogs but loves people and especially us more. Anyone have any experience with this? Advice?

·
Registered
41 Posts
It’s totally normal for the ‘only child’ to get jealous when a new puppy enters the picture. He’ll adapt and learn to share, and the two of them will become fast friends. Don’t worry that he’ll resent the puppy or be angry with you, dogs just aren’t like that. He may pout for a day or two, Phoebe did. But Goldens can be drama queens sometimes.

I can’t give too much personal experience, Charlie was an only dog for 3 years but he and Phoebe bonded instantly and there were no jealousy issues. Phoebe hasn’t bonded so quickly with Chance, but it’s still gone very well. It helps that she’s not an incredibly affectionate Golden, she likes attention from us but not to the point where she gets upset if we’re playing with Chance and not her.

I do highly recommend taking time regularly to spend a little one on one time doing some favorite activities with your dog, away from the pup. It could be taking him for a walk, snuggle time with him, or going outside to play. Also, if there is any specific place or toy that your dog loves a lot, make that off limits to the puppy. We don’t close Phoebe in her crate, but it’s by far her favorite sleeping spot. Chance is not allowed to go in her crate whatsoever. He’s also not allowed to have a couple of her very favorite toys.

Good luck with your future pup!

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
Much of this depends on the puppy you choose. A good breeder knows their puppies and has matched people and pups for years, they will be the best judge of getting you the right puppy so that they bond closely and make the transition easier. They will also be a great resource for questions... and you will have questions.

Finding puppies is the easy part, finding a reputable breeder is the challenge. Search for one that does at least the 4 core clearances and competes with their dogs in some venue. This will help to ensure the pup will have a sound temperament and help you to have a healthy puppy with less potential for expensive health problems in the future. Once you have found a reputable breeder this will be a lifelong relationship and so worth the time and effort it took to find them.

Remember, your dog is not looking for someone to share his home and family with. To maintain the current relationship you have with your dog, you owe it to him to make it as easy as possible for him to open his heart and home to a new family member. Just having a room mate relationship isn't fair to your current dog, help him to enrich his life not to endure it because you wanted a 2nd dog.

·
Registered
142 Posts
We have an almost three year old Golden male, we are planning on getting a new golden female puppy this winter/spring. Only hesitation is he is like our spoiled only child in terms of attention and affection and my husband and I worry about him sharing the attention. He loves to play with other dogs but when we pet sit my sisters dog he does easily get jealous if the other dog is sitting on the couch with me or I am petting the other dog not him. I assume he'll get over it with time and spend time playing with the new puppy versus seeking attention from us at times but at the end of the day he does love other dogs but loves people and especially us more. Anyone have any experience with this? Advice?

They will be fine. The two dogs will bond and be great together. I have a 3 yr old female and a 1 yr old male. I always keep pairs. We got the younger male last year after our prior 13 year old male passed. My current two are incredibly bonded, and pretty much inseparable. The closeness in age allows them to really play well together, and they’re constantly running around together side-by-side when they’re not wrestling or playing tug of war (often with my socks) with . A male and a female almost always get along. When you bring your new pup home, don’t rush things, and be conscious of your mature dog’s space. It may take a little time for your older pup to adapt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Suzy
20 Posts
Remember, your dog is not looking for someone to share his home and family with. To maintain the current relationship you have with your dog, you owe it to him to make it as easy as possible for him to open his heart and home to a new family member. Just having a room mate relationship isn't fair to your current dog, help him to enrich his life not to endure it because you wanted a 2nd dog.
This is so helpful! Does anyone have any thoughts on the ideal age of a first dog when adding a second?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I think the age can vary..2-3 works very well, but I had a 6 year old and added a pup and it worked out ..they became the very best of friends.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My 4 month old golden and my 12.5 yo lab get along. Is it the same relationship the lab had with my golden who passed in April? No. They were together almost 11 years. But they coexist now and today were next to each other. But both are very independent dogs.

·
Confused Member
510 Posts
All our dogs get along fine... but Bentley makes it clear, I belong to him. He’s not aggressive about it, he will just try to push his way in there. My last golden was not like that. He just shadowed me everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
487 Posts
Its fine just so long as you don't own more goldens than you have hands to pet them with! Lol, joking! Our Autumn was 11 when I got April. We would petsit other people's dogs on occasion so Autumn got used to having other dogs in her house for a few days, but when we brought April home, she instantly knew something was different and that this pup was staying. I have a photo of the expression on her face somewhere-its priceless! Her face looks like she's saying "oh great, what is this doing in my house? Its here to stay isn't it." They became best friends and Autumn came to think of April as her pup I think. When Autumn passed at age 15 1/2, April was very solemn while watching us bury her. Normal April would've been trying to play with the dirt being tossed, but she just stood still and silent by the grave-she knew her "mommy" was gone. Now I have April as an only dog and we have 2 goldens (from different families) that I groom at my house. They generally stay for the day and April (who is pretty velcro dog anyway) gets extra super duper clingy when they are here, but I have every confidence that when we are ready for a second golden pup, she will come to love it too, just like Autumn did with her. I'm guessing your golden will come to love a new pup too!

I honestly think that getting a puppy when you have an older dog is beneficial for the puppy. April was probably going to be an exceptionally good puppy anyway, but I feel she learned good behavior from Autumn too. I seriously put very little effort into her training. I decided last minute to take her to a dog show that had a heart and eye clinic to get her clearances and I noticed that they were also doing obedience. So in a month or so I polished up April's obedience skills to show ready level and she placed first in the class with a score of 195 at her first ever obedience trial and my second ever AKC obedience trial (I had taken Autumn to one AKC trial and won a leg than got too busy with college and a young horse I was training to finish her title)! Not many dogs can score so high with so little training and prep. April was such a good puppy that I'm going to be in for a rude awakening when I get a typically puppy, lol!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts