Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Golden Retrievers. they were both born in May of 2013. I work from home and so they get constant attention, and are allowed to go in and out through the doggie door to run and play. However, in the past month they have taken to chewing on the walls (drywall). I have replaced one whole wall so far and gone through two tubs of spackle. I have used bitter apple spray and tin foil to no avail. I scold them whenever I see them doing it, but they often will turn right around and try to chew through the patched area as soon as they can, even if I am looking at them.

I don't know what to do... do I have to make them outside dogs only?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Of course you don't make them outside dogs. You say they get constant attention, but what about exercise? How much exercise are they getting? I don't mean the kind they get by wondering around the yard. Do you play ball with them, walk them train them to keep their minds engaged? We are talking about really young dogs. They are going into the terrible teenage years X 2. Training should be separate when possible, walks together, play time exhausting. I play a lot of ball in the yard with my two. Work their brains and body and they will be too tired to eat your walls.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Mako chewed thru our kitchen wall...repeatedly....same spot. We finally nailed a piece of wood over the hole until he got out of the puppy stage and learned no chew! We then fixed it correctly and never had an issue since.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice

We play with them constantly... several walks a day and playtime. I think I am going to try the advice of just putting up plywood on the walls in the four places where they chew for the time being to protect what is left of the walls.

·
Registered
763 Posts
They're still very young, prevent them from having access to their preferred walls to chew unsupervised. I would crate them for their own safety when you can't watch them. They will mature past this with time, patience and positive training/mental exercise. Please don't kick them outside, take the time to work with them and develop the behaviors you want them to exhibit.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
I have two Golden Retrievers. they were both born in May of 2013. I work from home and so they get constant attention, and are allowed to go in and out through the doggie door to run and play. However, in the past month they have taken to chewing on the walls (drywall). I have replaced one whole wall so far and gone through two tubs of spackle. I have used bitter apple spray and tin foil to no avail. I scold them whenever I see them doing it, but they often will turn right around and try to chew through the patched area as soon as they can, even if I am looking at them.

I don't know what to do... do I have to make them outside dogs only?

If you have a safe yard and the weather permits, there is no reason they can't stay outside while you work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts