Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forum and do not find these two breeders in any threads - Cassiopeia Golden Legacy in Gapland MD, and Homestead Farm in Middletown MD. Does anyone have an information or experience with either of these?

Thanks! Anita

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I have searched the forum and do not find these two breeders in any threads - Cassiopeia Golden Legacy in Gapland MD, and Homestead Farm in Middletown MD. Does anyone have an information or experience with either of these?

Thanks! Anita
There is literally nothing to look at except cute puppy pictures. Very few if any photos of the adult dogs, not even a whisper about health certifications or their dogs being anything but puppy factories.

You certainly could ask for the registered names and numbers to check on Orthopedic Foundation for Animals. I would be floored if there was a single dog between the two that has fully verifiable health certifications.

If all they are offering is AKC registration (which does not mean quality or health, just that it is a Golden) and you are willing to assume the health risks of untested parents, he value offered should be appropriately priced between 500-800.

Here are some screenshots about health certifications you might find helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,654 Posts

Thanks! Anita
If you contact these breeders, get registered names so someone here can research for you-

·
Registered
1 Posts
We purchased a golden puppy from one of these two breeders in Dec, still don't have AKC papers. What can we do

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I wasted a bit of time this AM reading the (very inaccurate and irritating to anyone who values spelling and proper punctuation) blog by Cassiopeia. If you still have the sire and dam info (registered names or numbers or both) for your puppy, should be on your contract, please post that info. A call to AKC should get things rolling IF the breeder registered the litter. If the breeder didn't, you are out of luck.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Okay, so first let me say there is no way I would buy a puppy from Cassiopeia Golden Legacy. I immediately noticed that the dogs are always in kennels or outside, even the pictures of the kids playing with the dogs shows the kids inside the kennel. The one photo of several golden's in a kennel laying on a broken kuranda bed is very telling to me. In the comments she mentions cleaning the poop out of the kennels. Dogs that are well maintained do not poop in the kennel IMO. They should be out to run often enough that doesn't happen. I did enough research to find the owners name and one k-9 data page which I tried to link. Hope it works. Pedigree: Andromeda Of Kurzeme This is an older dog that she apparently owned but may help you start to do some research if you want to.

** EDIT ** I dug a little more and noticed that several years ago many dogs were listed on K9 data for this breeder. The one thing that stood out to me was I only found one with an elbow clearance, it was normal, and the dog had fair hips. I found many that had heart and eye clearances with no hip or elbows. I didn't see anything recent, but I was waiting on a conference call so I could have missed something. You can do a little research though.

The Homestead Farm option looks like it may take better care of the dogs IMO. I have no real information on them but the pictures look like they receive better care. I also noticed that the last litter they sold went for $950 so maybe if your heart set on a puppy right now you do that and buy pet insurance. In our area I would expect to pay $2000 for a well bred Golden maybe $1800 if it's a one time breeding and you get lucky.

If it was me I would ask for the registered names of the dogs and do some real research. In my experience unless something is really wrong from day one everyone loves there new puppy. It's not until they are a few years old that you really start to figure out if they have health issues that could cost you a lot more then the additional price of a well bred puppy.

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
I wouldn't have purchased a pup from either of these breeders but sounds like you have already done so. I'm going to hope you have insurance on your pup, one that covers joint issues.
I'm going to ask a question from a different perspective. Are you planning on competing in AKC events of any kind? Are you planning to breed this pup? (I'm certainly praying the answer to this one is NO) You apparently didn't do any research on the breeders or pedigrees or health clearances so you have what you have. If you do plan to compete you can get what AKC calls a PAL #. My point is at this point in time, what difference does it make if you have AKC registration or not? The only purpose to that slip of paper is to be involved in AKC events. It doesn't actually add any value to the quality of the puppy so why waste your time trying to force this issue with either breeder mentioned in this post?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts