Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Just adopted our lovely Holly who is 8 weeks old. Got her from a shady place and already had to take her to the emergency vet once for blood in her stools- turned out to be high levels of bacteria esp coccidia which is fatal if untreated.. she's on meds now and her stools are now solid with no blood (they looked like pea soup before, totally liquid, ew!)

So considering the fact that the lady we got her from was super shady, and she already had one problem to deal with, I'm on high alert.

I've noticed that sometimes when she sleeps she twitches all over, not in like a "bad dream" way but like an uncontrollable seizure-type way. It really freaks me out but my parents think its normal (they also thought the bloody poop was normal and thank god I didn't listen to them on that!)

Is this normal? I don't remember our other golden doing this or our pomeranian. I've read some unofficial things people have said about the twitching just meaning the puppy is growing and the muscles are kinda wacky right now, but still.. it looks creepy and I want to make sure everything is alright!

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Is she on meds for the coccidia ? You might check and see what the side effects are if she is. It does sound like puppy dreaming, but I like to err on the side of caution too. Any chance of posting a video of it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure it was happening before the medication, but not 100%. She's only on it for 2 more days, and we have a vet check-up with our family vet on Monday. I was trying to get a video of it but of course as soon as I tried she stopped doing it. I'm gonna try again later and try to post it here :)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
if you search youtube you will see lots of clips of puppies dreaming...

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
The first litter I ever bred was a litter of nine puppies that twitched in their sleep... It is the way their neurological systems develop. I was relieved that they were not nine epileptic puppies!!!

·
gone
1,443 Posts
I watched Bayne the other night, his eyes were moving, his feet were twitching and his tail thumped..... he definitely was dreaming. I even see my cats doing the same thing. Like another poster said, you tube has lots of videos of this, it's so funny on some of them. I remember one it looks like the dog is running as his whole legs are going.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Goldensrbest, glad I made you laugh!!!!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
My dogs have all done it--I figured they were chasing squirrels in their sleep and catching them! Mine never howled, but all whimpered. I especially like it when the tail starts thumping at 2 a.m.!;)

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Both my dogs still do it in their sleep and it still scares the heck out of me.

I had one dog who was terrified to get his nails cut, at night after I would cut his nails he always cried in his sleep.

I do remember Brady as a young puppy getting the shakes every once in a while. I always wondered if it was my imagination or if maybe his blood sugar had dropped.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My 7 month old does this all the time, its adorable and makes me laugh execept when he started howling....sometimes that wakes me up...lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts