Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I use the pup as a guide.too....if they start playing with their food or seem less interested...then I make the switch..

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Our boy at 3 mo just started leaving his lunch, but he gets treats & veggies, so we just recently stopped the noon meal. If he acts hungry sometimes I put what would have been his noon meal in his kibble ball and just let him eat and play as he wants, but he really doesn't seem to be hungry for the noon meal anymore. Most of our dogs like the middle meal until between 4-5 mo.

·
Registered
110 Posts
We started with Bailey when she was almost 6 months old. We feed her when we leave for work in the morning and again at night. We tried to give her a small amount around lunch time and she doesn't really seem to care about it much anymore.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I switch at 4 months... it makes my life easier.

·
Kate
21,682 Posts
I use the pup as a guide.too....if they start playing with their food or seem less interested...then I make the switch..
I read this and instantly thought about what a plague it was trying to get Jacks to eat his food when there were other dogs or the cat around. He was always a good eater, but so distractable! :D

We kinda went by his growth and timing.

Our feeding schedule back when he was a puppy was 6AM-Noon-6PM. So generally I took care of the first feeding when I left for work. My mom fed him his lunch. And then I was back to give him supper at 6PM.

And those were 1/2 cup meals.

As he got bigger and started adapting to a normal daily routine - sleeping later in the morning, his food wasn't going right through his system as fast, he started getting regular treats throughout the day from my doting mom... we started shifting the feeding times and amounts.

So my mom fed him when he woke up in the morning (3/4 cup). He got a small meal in the early afternoon (1/2 cup). And then I fed him in the evening (3/4 cup).

And that turned into 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup at night.

As you can see, it was a gradual shift... I couldn't tell you a month that he was officially eating the same as our other dogs. But definitely it was in that 5-8 month period.

·
I love my golden kids!
257 Posts
I switched both of mine over to two meals between 5 and 6 months of age without any issues. They get treats during the day, so they don't go very long without something in their tummies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts