Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

How seriously has your dog interacted with the TV?

• Doesn't watch at all.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Watches, but doesn't touch.

Votes: 40 50.0%
  • Has grazed the screen.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • Has made full contact with the TV, but didn't hurt it or himself.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My dog wrecked a TV.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we've had threads about dogs watching TV before, but has anybody else's ever jumped into it?

We were watching a series of dog competitions on ESPN, and during the freestyle frisbee competition, Comet actually bumped into the screen trying to catch one of the frisbees. Both the dog and the TV are totally fine, though he scared himself a little by banging into the TV table.

All of our dogs have always watched TV with varying levels of interest, but this is the first time a dog has not just left a nose smear but actually interacted with the screen. Anybody else have this experience?

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
That's just too funny! Well, as long as he didn't hurt himself that is. Shadow doesn't like most other dogs, so he will growl at the television if he sees or hears one. Not always, though. He's even selective with tv dogs.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
My guys don't watch much TV at all. They will perk up if they hear a dog on TV and will sometime appear to watch but I don't feel they really are watching.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
When we've watched animal shows, Sam will sometimes run right up to the screen, and leave a nose smudge.. he's never really bumped it hard though. But I prepared for this possibility by bungee-cording the back of the TV to the TV stand LOL Last thing I need is for him to see a dog, run, lunge and break the screen!!

Dillon has never showed any interest in the TV.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I have tried to get Brooks to notice something on the TV, and after much encouragement he will then pay a little attention to it. But, never on his own.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If anybody has a recipe for removing dog smear from a flat panel TV, this is probably the thread to post it in.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Chester jumped at the TV when he was about a year old...a tennis match was on tv and I guess tennis balls have a sound that Chester can't resist.

·
Went Rogue...
599 Posts
Piper loves to watch TV! She even follows the animated bird on a commercial for (if I remember correctly) a financial services company.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Our tv is hung pretty high on the wall and the closest call we've had so far is when Molson (as a puppy) jumped up on the low coffee table we have beneath it and grazed the screen with his paw. Since then he has learned that he's not allowed on that table!

We had a great day on Saturday just the 2 of us, we cuddled on the recliner (him on my lap!) and watched Santa Buddies AND Air Buddies! He watched both movies intently from start to finish, only getting up a few times to bark at the bad guys!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Spencer, oh do I miss that boy!

Years ago I was watching a program on Discovery about Wolverines. A found out real fast that Spencer would protect his Mom and home from these beasts. I had a long narrow living room and the TV at on a corner stand on one end. Spencer was clear at the other end when the Wolverines became aggressive. I heard this low, throaty growl and before I could stop him he flew across the living room and hit that TV with his full weight! It was a 27" TV and he knocked it off the stand, but the way it was situated in the corner it did not hit the floor. I was stunned! He was snarling and growling and barking at that bad wolverine!

I righted the TV and changed the channel. :doh:

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Both of my guys will perk up and look at the tv, but they don't try to nudge it, or anything.
Gunner will bark if he hears some kind of knocking or fireworks coming from the television. We have to tell him "It's on tv, dummy." Then he'll go off and lay down in a huff with this embarrassed look on his face. lol.

My Cooper actually tried to nail the tv once. We were watching one of those 'funny video' shows and there was a clip of this goat headbutting a border collie. (Not exactly "funny" in my opinion, but anyway...) Cooper saw that, growled, and charged up to the tv screen like he meant to nail the goat. We thought it was the cutest thing ever, that he was trying to protect the other dog.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
My golden Joplin would put nose prints on the TV if soccer was on. . .

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Dear Tracer-boy watches his reflection when the TV is off....does that count? ;-)

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
If there is something with dogs or any other animals on TV, Tucker will usually plop his butt right in front of the TV and tilt his head to the side in amazement. He got really into a dock diving event that was on ESPN about a month ago. Our youngest cat, who is a Russian Blue, goes crazy if he sees cats on TV. A couple of weeks ago, there was an episode of Cats 101 on Animal Planet, and he jumped up on the TV stand and started swatting at the screen!

I find the best thing for cleaning our flat panel TVs is eyeglasses cleaner that we buy at the Wal-Mart eye center. It comes in a spray bottle and we use that with a microfiber cloth to clean the LCD screens and it does an amazing job and is perfectly safe for TVs and computer monitors. We use it all the time!

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
you should do this for the laptop.

Mine lick that and I have nose prints on it constantly. They don't bother the TV just watch...laptop it's all about touching it with the nose and giving a lick every so often.

·
Winchestersonfieldville
1,328 Posts
All of our TVs are too high for Winchester to touch, but he loves watching. He would probably jump on them if he could.

esSJay - I read that on your facebook post and put in Snow Buddies for Winchester to watch. It kept his attention for a little while, then Tristan came along and wanted to play. Cuddling is the best with our pooches, is it not?

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
We have a 65 inch TV, and when Brady was younger and watching some of the Air Bud movies, he did climb on his hind legs to get a better look.

edit: We do a lot of video chatting on our laptops, now that family members live so far away. Brady loves to participate in these sessions, and they enjoy talking to him too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts