Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took Turbo to my boyfriend's parent's second home in Utah a few weeks ago and she played with their 5 month old lab puppy, Jake, for 4 days straight...I guess all that playing got her exhausted and shot her immune system at that time and the demodex mites started to create a small bald spot on her face. :(

We thought maybe Jake got a little rough and pulled some hair out of her but it didn't get better for 3 weeks so we took her to the vet on Monday. The vet scraped the bald spot with a scalpel and checked it under a microscope..and there they were! The vet then says there's no real good treatment for localized demodicosis so the best thing to do is for us to watch it (it will either go away in 1-3 months or there's a small chance it could become generalized). I thought, "then what was the point in scraping her face?!" Now she has to wear an e-collar until the spot heals from them scraping her skin off! Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone has experience with this and if there is anything I can do to help supress the mites?

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Harry had this as a puppy and in the end we gave him Aludex dips. It is a horrible thing to have to do and we tried lots of natural approaches such as diet and supplements...but in the end I didn't want it to drag on for months and months so thought it would be the kindest thing. I think in the end he only had 2 baths in it and he was cleared.
I sympathise with the skin scraping, it is horrid isn't it, hugs to Turbo!!

This photo shows how it started on harry...all down his sides and around his eyes...

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Jasper had it as a pup. We did the mitaban dips, like Emma&Tilly said, it is horrible to have to do, but it did get rid of it.

·
Premium Member
18,144 Posts
My foster dog had generalized demodex, meaning all over his body. He was given oral Ivermectin daily for 3 months before the skin scraping was clear. It is not contagious fortunately, but I might ask another vet if it should be treated somehow.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Linda. That was a very informative article! It's good to hear from more than one person that it will eventually go away. I might try using Rotenone ointment on the area to see if it helps the healing process go faster. Thanks for all your great input. :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Both of my dogs had it at seperate times. My vet prescribed Ivomec once a day for 2 months &........gone. Dalton had it a little worse than Meesha & neither of them had it on their face. GL

·
Maryland
2,806 Posts
I've seen it in rapidly growing pups. Just growing so fast stresses their immune system sometimes. Hopefully it'll take care of itself...it usually does, with good nutrition and a routine at home. Just keep him from getting stressed for a while, and he'll probably be just fine really soon.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turbo is scheduled to get spayed in 2 weeks.. would that effect her immune system? I'm not sure how long we can wait before she has her first heat..

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I wouldn't put her through a big operation...I would definitely wait until after her season (as that would be my preference anyway)

·
Registered
10,495 Posts
It is quite a stress on the system. I would not put a dog with a compromised immune system through it, nor would I give any vaccinations until the demodex has cleared up.

Going through a season is a pain but it isn't the end of the world. My girls don't usually cycle before 9 months at the earliers and for the most part, they cycle around the one year mark.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. I just called the vet and told him my concerns and what experienced people like you guys have said. The spay is still scheduled for Oct. 10th, but I will watch her closely and will cancel the procedure if the demodex is not cleared up by next weekend. Thank you for all your help! :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The demodex hasn't cleared up yet although hair is growing back where the bald spot is. I took Turbo to a different vet yesterday since her original one has been out sick for weeks. This vet was really surprised the other vet didn't give me any treatment for the demodex...he almost looked disgusted and asked why I was taking my dog to an inexperienced vet. Turbo's original vet is actually really experienced so I don't know what is right or wrong. This new vet gave me antibiotics and some other medication to give Turbo along with ointment and told me to give her fish oil too (which I have been). He also wants me to take her in for the "dip" today and 2 more times (2 weeks apart). Is this the right thing to do? He says the dip will make her drowsy and she may not eat for up to 48 hours after it.. I also just read online that some dogs don't react well to the dip and there's a 3% chance of it causing death!?!?!? I'm so inexperienced I don't know what to believe... any thoughts?

·
Registered
21,124 Posts
oh man, DO NOT dip that puppy. They very rarely treat localized demodex, it's considered self limiting. The side effects from the dip are much worse than the demodex.
The heat cycle is likely to trigger the demodex much more than the spay will.
Call a dermatologist, even just for a consulation. They are much more experienced in dealing with demodex.
A new treatment, that's "off label" but has a lot of success, is Advantage Multi spot-on flea/heartworm treatment (MUST BE MULTI, NO OTHER FORM) every 2 weeks until you get 2 negative skin scrapings. You do not give the regular flea/heartworm preventative if you're doing the Advantage Multi.
here's more info
http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/vetmed/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=535123&sk=&date=&pageID=4
http://www.upei.ca/cidd/Diseases/dermatology/demodicosis.htm
http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=382839&pageID=1&sk=&date=
and some info. on Advantage Multi (sold as "ADVOCATE" in other countries")
http://www.advocate-spot-on.com/News.1384.0.html?&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=355&tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=1660&cHash=1b0dd71412
You may want to get some benzoyl peroxide shampoo from your vet, and treat just the spot with it 2-3 times a week. Follow the directions on the shampoo, try not to get it in her eyes when you rinse it off.
Demodex mange is REAL common, and normally resolves with no further complications. Less than 1 in 10 progress to generalized demodicosis.
Hope this is some help!

·
Premium Member
18,144 Posts
I don't know for sure what you should do. Does the new vet say it is "generalized" demodex? Meaning spread all over her body? My foster dog had generalized demodex, he was treated with oral ivermectin for 2 months before the skin scraping was clear of mites. The rescue's vet prefers the oral medication, but did do one mitoban dip, which stinks but did not have any adverse reactions for the dog.

From my very limited experience, I don't think antibiotics will do anything at all to fight the demodex, but I guess it might boost her system.

Is the other oral medication Ivermectin? The dip won't hurt her and it might even erradicate the mites faster. I was very concernced when your first vet didn't do anything to treat the demodex, so I like the proactive things this vet is doing. If you do nothing the demodex will spread and you will have a big problem. I think you should follow this vet's treatment.

·
Premium Member
18,144 Posts
oh man, DO NOT dip that puppy. They very rarely treat localized demodex, it's considered self limiting. The side effects from the dip are much worse than the demodex.
The heat cycle is likely to trigger the demodex much more than the spay will.
Call a dermatologist, even just for a consulation. They are much more experienced in dealing with demodex.
A new treatment, that's "off label" but has a lot of success, is Advantage Multi spot-on flea/heartworm treatment (MUST BE MULTI, NO OTHER FORM) every 2 weeks until you get 2 negative skin scrapings. You do not give the regular flea/heartworm preventative if you're doing the Advantage Multi.
here's more info
http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/vetmed/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=535123&sk=&date=&pageID=4
http://www.upei.ca/cidd/Diseases/dermatology/demodicosis.htm
http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=382839&pageID=1&sk=&date=
and some info. on Advantage Multi (sold as "ADVOCATE" in other countries")
http://www.advocate-spot-on.com/News.1384.0.html?&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=355&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1660&cHash=1b0dd71412
You may want to get some benzoyl peroxide shampoo from your vet, and treat just the spot with it 2-3 times a week. Follow the directions on the shampoo, try not to get it in her eyes when you rinse it off.
Demodex mange is REAL common, and normally resolves with no further complications. Less than 1 in 10 progress to generalized demodicosis.
Hope this is some help!

Hotel4dogs sounds like you have some good advice to offer! Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The new vet has given me Cephalexin (the antibiotic?) and Ivermectin for us to give her orally along with the ointment to put on the affected area. She only has one spot (about the size of an average thumb nail) on her face but it has been there for a month now. He says he does aggressive treatment for all his patients with demodex because "if it's not treated correctly early on, the dog will keep getting it over and over again for the rest of her life." Now that sounded scary! But then I'm reading about all these side effects of the dip.. where it can cause seizures, dry skin, and even death! AND you shouldn't "handle" your dog for a few days after? That sounds really bad to me... but he makes it sound like it's really necessary. He has all great reviews online so a lot of people think he's a great vet.. he also donates a lot of money to saving animals all the time which shows he does care about them. I don't know what to do..I'm so indecisive.. I don't want something to go terribly wrong after the dip..but I also want to treat the demodex correctly.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I don't buy the demodex coming back again and again for the rest of her life. I would think once the mites are dead they won't be resurrected over and over again. Is he saying that without aggressive treatment her immune system will become less reactive to the mites causing further infestations later on in life?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't buy the demodex coming back again and again for the rest of her life. I would think once the mites are dead they won't be resurrected over and over again. Is he saying that without aggressive treatment her immune system will become less reactive to the mites causing further infestations later on in life?

Yea, I believe he meant new mites will come up later on if these first ones aren't treated correctly..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts