Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Louie's Mom
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea why he might be doing this at all.

But as he came to do it more and more often I began to realize he does it more often outside, and usually if we're in one place too long and he has to sit, also people being around seems to be a factor. This is really REALLY troublesome since I have to take him around with me, and as a normal person ... you stand places. I can't just drop and break everything I'm holding and play tug a war. (Loud growling sound included)

Can someone help me with this? I don't know what to do. The only way I can make him stop is by carrying around treats. He'll immediately stop and perk up obediently if I show him a treat, but c'mon, he's a golden.

The bad behavior hasn't stopped though, I have to have treats or I'm done for.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
You can train him to Sit/Stay and then give him the Stay command when you need to stop. He'll need lots of treats at the beginning and then you can stretch out the treats. My dog, Casper, will also sit for a long time as long as I'm rubbing his head. Since he's just the perfect height for that, it's easy to do.

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Am I understanding this correctly?

Anytime you stand still for more than a few seconds, he is tugging on the leash with his mouth to play. Correct?

If YES - does he know the command for "settle" or "down"? When I take Bear shopping and i stop to browse, he automatically lies down and relaxes until I'm ready to move on. If he starts tugging (by pulling on the leash, not with his mouth), I will ask him to settle and he'll drop into a down and wait for me to finish.

You might also consider getting a leash that is 1/2 nylon/leather and 1/2 chain. I've been told dogs don't like the feel of chain in their mouth and they will stop playing with a leash if it's chain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts