Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always read that I shouldn't play those "tug of war" games because they can create aggression with the puppy... so I've never engaged in that sort of activity.

... Mojo and Max, however, play it a LOT. Other than bitey-face, it's their favorite game.

It's also very amusing to watch Mojo pull Max across the wood floor, LOL.

Is this bad for them to play? I don't want to make either of them aggressive...

I apologize if I'm way off base. Still very novice. :eek:

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooooh, a wubba sounds even better... I want to get a floaty one for Wednesday -- we're all going up to the in-laws and Max is going to meet their pond for the first time! I'm DEFINITELY bringing my camera this time!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
The only reason we don't play tug of war with Bailey is because of hunting. We wouldn't want her to pull on a dead bird that we plan to eat.lol

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Mine all enjoy a game of tug...
Dont bother to buy a braided tuggy...they are rarely braided tightly enough. Just make one!
I have fleece braided tugs that I made for Liberty when she was a puppy 6+ years ago. They have been down around as tug toys for aggressive chewers and are still in good shape...the texture is not what mine like for a good chew session..but great for tugging! :)

·
2 goldens and a BMD
841 Posts
Mine all enjoy a game of tug...
Dont bother to buy a braided tuggy...they are rarely braided tightly enough. Just make one!
Agree. I'll by fleece from the remnants pile when it's 50% off and easily get enough to make 3-5 tugs for less than $5 when most cost $8-$10 to buy.

I won't leave the tugs out as my younger one loves to sit there and chew on them and will take pieces out of them.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
We play tug all the time. It's Riley's favorite game (besides "eat the dead thing on the sidewalk" game). Sometimes I think as we're trying to be pet owners we tend to over-think things. The trainer at my puppy class told me to NEVER let my pup "win" at tug of war. If I did that I would be tugging all day. I get tired, she wins. And the aggression thing, I'm not so sure. I played tug with my first golden until she was too old to play anymore and she never showed any aggression.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Sometimes I think as we're trying to be pet owners we tend to over-think things.
I agree.
Tug is Riley's favorite game, too - I play it with him every night and I play it with Gunner, when he's in the mood for it. My two don't play tug with each other, though. With my guys, it isn't so much a "game of tug" as it is Riley just trying to take a toy away from Gunner. lol. So we nip that in the bud the minute it starts.

The only thing I've been careful of when playing tug with a pup is making sure that they've been taught a fairly reliable "drop it" first and that they know the difference between a game of tug and 'Let go of that shoe, sock, bra... whatever they might be trying to play keep-away with. I don't want them to think that a fabulous game of tug has ensued every time I try to take something away from them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Emma Rose loves to play tug and brings her toys to me constantly so we can play. She is getting so big and strong now that sometimes she almost pulls me across the floor instead of me her. LOL

·
Registered
70 Posts
The only reason we don't play tug of war with Bailey is because of hunting. We wouldn't want her to pull on a dead bird that we plan to eat.lol
if u dont mind me asking how old is ur golden in that picture

sry im new to this lol

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Sam and Dillon are master tug warriors ;) They loooove playing tug. I remember telling Jeff when we were discussing getting a 2nd dog that I would just love if they would play tug together, how cute that would be!

The first day Dillon was here, they grabbed up the rope toy and played tug.. my heart fluttered LOL!

Sam will play tug with me still, Dillon won't. I see nothing wrong with it. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
There is nothing wrong with tug-o-war, just make sure you "win".

If you constantly let the dog "win" and let go of the rope/toy/stick whatever it is when she's pulling on it, you're telling her that she's stronger than you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.