Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
the party's crashing us
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so new puppy Slater is coming along great in obedience. Sheesh and once again -- I start saying I'm not going to do obedience and what do I waltz right into? Anyways, he's super cute and doing very well for his 7 month old little self.
He LOVES to play TUG with his leash. Oh what a great game and motivator and reinforcer and did we mention it's fun?
Problem being I train with a leather leash (have several different ones) and I'm thinking it's probably not good for the leash's health to continue.
Does anyone have any suggestions for leashes that can take some abuse like this? I was thinking just a nylon job but that looks kinda amateur.
Those big cloth ones they use for agility are too clunky. I like to hold it bunched up in one hand. Maybe a small nylon one?
Help me out here folks, I'm in new territory.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Anney, one of the guys on the big dog forum was raving over this leash which is chewproof and the website says it's flexible. Might be worth a look.
http://www.muttgear.net/

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I have three like that! I love that way of rewarding, and they always stop when I ask. I use a Nylon leash- a plain black one. Leather just can't stand up to the abuse! I don't think a black leash looks too bad.

·
the party's crashing us
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, I recognize that place! We did an Alston seminar and that's where Fisher had both his debut and retirement from the UKC breed ring -- 2 days, 4 shows, 3 BIS :)
I'll check out the muttgear web too, thanks!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I have a leather leash that's done quite well withstanding tug. I tend to double it up at the handle end when we play.

As an alternative, wander by an agility trial that has vendors and check out the ones that are nylon in the center, but have thick fleece braided with. They're very popular for tugging around here.

·
OTCH Wannabes!
3,088 Posts
Hey go to www.myrope.com you can even customize the leash...this one has been reccomended to me by OTCH trainers for their young pups...I have yet to get my own..but they are easy to manage and not too clunky. Let us know what you end up with!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Hey thanks Caryn for the link! I like the look of those. I hate to pay $7 shipping for an $11 leash, so I think I'll wait until I can afford to order a few of them.

677 Posts
I make my own "tugging leashes" from fleece and the whatchamacalit you connect to the collar. I cut three fairly thick lengths of fleece, loop them through the whatchamacalit and braid them. You get a strong, flexible leash for training and playing and can make them as long or as short as you want for well under $5 per. I am totally not crafty and if I can make them anyone can!

677 Posts
PS--lots of people use different leashes to train than for competing. Don't worry about what the training ones look like!

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
This is the one I have used (yes the same one) for about 15 years. It took this Forum to help me find a new one-just because I thought it would be time, not because it has worn out. It is not bulky in the least and they do love to play with it.

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=63205

·
OTCH Wannabes!
3,088 Posts
Hey thanks Caryn for the link! I like the look of those. I hate to pay $7 shipping for an $11 leash, so I think I'll wait until I can afford to order a few of them.

Ouch...I didn't realize they were THAT much for shipping..but yeah I liked the looks of them at the seminar that I went to! =]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts