Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am amazed at how smart Goldens are!

I started giving Duffy his entire lunchtime kibble inside a tug-a-jug toy. He has a tendency to gobble his food although we use the special divided dish that is supposed to help this.

Anyway, two days of using the tug-a-jug, he has totally mastered it. He knows to pick it up at the bottom of the jug and dump out the kibble. Takes him less than 5 minutes to get it all out and eat it. I was really surprised at how quickly he mastered it! He's still a pup!

Kris

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I'm really glad to hear that Duffy likes this toy. I've been thinking about ordering it, I already have a Buster Cube. I read the reviews on Amazon and some people weren't thrilled. I do remember reading that you can put a tennis ball inside the jug to make it harder for kibble to come out. :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Melissa,

What do you think of the buster cube? Does it have to be manipulated to get the treats out? What I like about the tug a jug is that the kibble doesn't just fall out. It is partially blocked by the rope. But he has that figured out. He pulls on the rope, then picks up the jug at the bottom so it dumps over. I need to get videos of this!

I'm interested in hearing about other interactive toys. Duffy loves his kongs, too.

Kris

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ellie just turned a year old last month, and she has gobbled her food since she was a young pup. We have tried everything to get her to slow down, including dividing her dinner into multiple tricky food dispensers. We use a tug a jug, one of the rolling balls, another tube thing with a small hole in it...pretty much everything we can find. The problem we had with the tug a jug is that Ellie wanted to eat the rope out of it. She had completely destroyed the rope in less than 15 minutes. I didn't want to waste the money we spent on the toy, so I put multiple golf balls in the jug so she still has to roll it around & pick it up and drop it to get the food out. It is always fun to try to challenge them to get them to sloooooow down to eat.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I like the Buster Cube, it definitely makes them work at it. Depending on kibble size, it may be easier if the kibble is smaller. There is also an adjustment tube so you can make it "easy" or "hard." The only negative thing is that it is square and it makes one heck of a racket on hardwood floors. We also had a round ball similar to the Buster Cube and it was also pretty effective.

·
Golden Retriever Fanatic!
135 Posts
Super smart puppy you have there! Soon it'll be opening doors to go for walks xD

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Yay! I want to see a video!

We do the 'fill with tennis balls/other things' too. It's a pretty great toy. I have a "kibble nibble" (Premier, same company, but round shaped toy) that's way easier and much preferred by the dogs...because even with my sneakyness, it's still easier!

I have gotten any of the Nina Otteson toys yet, but they look like fun too, though they require more supervision.

We try to do all meals through food toys or training.. I'm always excited to hear how other dogs are solving these puzzles. One guy told me he has superglued his kibble nibble shut....taped off one end, filled it with balls, and has to insert kibbles one at a time... and his puppy adores it...but keeps needing more challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts