Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tucker is 18 months (almost 19) and I am thinking he is a little small.. He is not skinny; no bones showing and all that.. But he is 23" at the shoulders and 58lbs at last weigh in. Is this small or average for a year and half? He gets a cup of food in the morning and a cup at night, and eats Solid Gold Wolf King. His dad is 74lbs at 4 years and I cannot recall the size of his mommy, though I know she was a little smaller. Vet never said anything about him being small, but then again I highly doubt he knows everything about every dog breed out there..!

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
He's probably like Cosmo, narrow, more like a field dog. Cosmo is 25" and 67lbs, mostly legs. His littermate is 80lbs and same height but much heavier set.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Hobbes is a peanut at 56lbs., he is on the thin side. His brother Calvin (littermate) is 68lbs., they are both 22" and two years old. I sometimes wonder if they were neutered too young. They were rescues, and the contract stated they had to be neutered by 5 months old. They were huge puppies, Hobbes was 14lbs. at 8 weeks!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This makes me feel better! Tucker was a HUGE puppy too, second or third largest in his litter. Once he hit one year it seemed as if he almost stopped growing! He has filled out and is less "leggy" but when I saw people posting that their dogs were 58lbs at 7 months I got worried! I wouldnt change him for the world, I just wanted to be sure he wasnt an abnormal guy :p

Do they grow much after a year and a half? he is intact

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
My DH always says, "is Maggie really a golden?" She is smaller and lighter in weight at 54 pounds, while wearing a shorter coat. My DH always compares Maggie to a heftier golden with long goldilocks. It's frustrating for sure.

·
Maggie Mae's Mom Too!
597 Posts
My Tucker is almost Identical to your Tucker! about 59lbs all legs, shorter coat, yet very healthy, and solid. He is CRAAAAAZZZY for ball retrieving, very active pup. He is also 18 months old. I used to worry about it too, but I now have realized that Many of the Goldens you see out and about are overweight. At least most that I see at our Local dog park are.... Makes my Tucker appear even smaller.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Tucker is almost Identical to your Tucker! about 59lbs all legs, shorter coat, yet very healthy, and solid. He is CRAAAAAZZZY for ball retrieving, very active pup. He is also 18 months old. I used to worry about it too, but I now have realized that Many of the Goldens you see out and about are overweight. At least most that I see at our Local dog park are.... Makes my Tucker appear even smaller.
That is so cool! Twins!! Our Tuck loves to run and retrieve too! We have run into some very big Goldens at the park too...we are good about making sure he only gets treats for training and never gets people food. Its funny because at the park, people always mention how big he is and how big his feet are, while Im over here worrying hes too small! :p i guess hes perfect the way he is ;)

I love his short coat, its so cute! I call it his baby hair. And he is very solid as well, he squishes me when he sits on my lap

·
Maggie Mae's Mom Too!
597 Posts
That is so cool! Twins!! Our Tuck loves to run and retrieve too! We have run into some very big Goldens at the park too...we are good about making sure he only gets treats for training and never gets people food. Its funny because at the park, people always mention how big he is and how big his feet are, while Im over here worrying hes too small! :p i guess hes perfect the way he is ;)

I love his short coat, its so cute! I call it his baby hair. And he is very solid as well, he squishes me when he sits on my lap

I MUST see pictures of your Tuck please..... :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay Okay you convinced me... here are our most recent pictures of Tuck! We are teaching him the difference between "give" and "drop it." Hes slowly getting the hang of it, but he goes BONKERS for the balls that come with the Chuck It so he can hardly sit still and wait for it to be tossed. He is such a teenager!

Waiting nicely for dad to throw it..

Huurrryy Uuuup!

Superdog!

Waiting is the hardest part for him but he is so good!

I wish he wasnt in the shadows :( the sun was just going down

He says "thanks for looking!"

·
Maggie Mae's Mom Too!
597 Posts
He's PRECIOUS! and body style looks jus like my guy. All legs and BIG PAWS. IT's cute to see them so insane and goofy for a ball. Tucker gets so excited that his back legs shake and quiver till I throw it for him..... Thanks for sharing him with us, he is great, just like mine. Just more compact! lol.... :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Cannella at 2-1/2 is only 60 lbs while Angelina is 78. Just different size dogs. I like the smaller size...

Your Tucker will probably 'fill out' a bit more as he matures...

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cannella at 2-1/2 is only 60 lbs while Angelina is 78. Just different size dogs. I like the smaller size...

Your Tucker will probably 'fill out' a bit more as he matures...

Your dogs are so beautiful!!

OH so my fiance taught Tucker a new trick.. to wait with a cookie on his nose! I had to share this pic with you guys

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He's PRECIOUS! and body style looks jus like my guy. All legs and BIG PAWS. IT's cute to see them so insane and goofy for a ball. Tucker gets so excited that his back legs shake and quiver till I throw it for him..... Thanks for sharing him with us, he is great, just like mine. Just more compact! lol.... :)

Hahaha I love when they get excited! the wiggly butt :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts