Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around for a wagon to take my boy on my daily 2 mile walks around the cranberry bogs. I found one that works perfectly at Lowes and he loves it. It has fold down sides and he can get in&out easily. I just got it yesterday and made a quick modification with parts from a old lawn chair so I could push it instead of pull it and it works great, not much effort at all. The 13" wheels make it a breeze for going "off road". He really enjoys getting back to his favorite places and so do I :)

His buddy Quinn the flatcoat joined us for the maiden voyage. They used to get into some great "boxing matches" back in the day.

I am very handy and will make a few more modifications, at the very least the bright yellow will be replaced with camo paint.
For the "Tim the toolman guys" yes, I have thought about adding a battery with a DC motor and drivetrain to the wheels and a servo for steering with a remote control. Folks would get a kick out of that for sure, but I don't think I will go that far.;)

I believe this wagon will help him build up his strength :crossfing If he needs to rest he gets a free ride. It can allow him to go that extra 100 feet without me worrying about it. We have all our routes mapped down to the foot.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
What a good dog daddy you are....I bet Tucker will love getting back to his bogs in style....make sure you give us an updated pictures after the paint job.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Love it!.You could also turn it,into a cart so that your other dog can pull,for you!.
Quinn is a long time friend of Tucker, I do not own him and if you are thinking of Fiona, she is my friends Golden, not mine. Fiona does visit often and Tucker certainly enjoys her company :) I know what you mean though, I did my research and know about the correct harness for a dog to pull a wagon, This site has pic's of a dog pulling another and some great ideas for modifications :)

http://lairds.org/Kyler/projects/dog_wagon/narration#wagon00

Janine- I will update on the mods/paint, will be a bit because we have about 4 days of rain coming and we need it.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Tucker looks like he loves his new wagon! We have a green one just like it. Maybe I will use it for one our dogs someday.

·
where the tails wag
13,369 Posts
Oh, I LOVE it :) Tucker looks so comfortable in it

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
You seriously are one awesome Golden daddy to your boy (although something tells me he's one great golden boy to you too!!)
The wagon looks great - and now hopefully he will see some foxes on the trails. I know you mentioned he loves seeing them!
Great that he can get out to all his favourite spots again...that's got to be such a joy to you both!! He also just looks so comfortable!
Can't wait to see the new design modifications!

Kim

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
You are such a great Dad. That is just too cool and he loves it, you can tell by that big smile on his face. So does he get a drink holder and cushions? Tucker is such a sweetie and I bet when Fiona sees the wagon she will want to ride with him.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
That's great! I'm sure Tucker is very happy to be back out on his walks again!

I'm curious, is this at the cranberry bogs in Carlisle, MA?

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
What a fantastic idea. Tucker is a lucky boy to have a dad who loves his so and I'm sure he has earned that love.

You also got me thinking about what I could use in the city when Cocasse starts to slow down. Hmmm...too big for a baby stroller or a shopping cart but I could always use one of those kiddie wagons.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Camo sounds good.
Tucker can slip into an area without being detected!
Karen

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Tucker's new wheels look great.:)

I so non tool man:( I couldn't even follow the modification explanation except for the painting part, but I know you will spiff it up even more.

I'm glad you and Tucker will get to enjoy his favorite spots again.:) I hope you see a lot of wildlife and have a great time out there.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Recent pic's

Thanks everyone, it is great to get him back out to his favorite places again. I have put in some foam for him, very comfortable. I might get to the paint job soon. Marieb- the bogs are not in Carlisle, we are on the south shore.

The bright yellow paint is a bit much :yuck:

Kim- he does indeed have a passion for foxes, it has been a long time since he has seen one. Guess what, we saw one! I saw him 1st and knelt down to get some photos, my hand on his collar to keep him from jumping out, he was excited. Underneath the white dot is where he was.

I zoomed in a bit, he was just about to pounce on a mouse/frog, who knows.

Zoomed in all the way, not a great photo, but they are beautiful creatures.

On the lookout for more.

And a nice sunset, forever looking for that fox :)

We did have a lot of rain and he really hasn't been feeling that great, yesterday he felt a little bit better. I never know how much time we have left, grateful I can get him back out to his favorite places. And seeing the fox yesterday was a major plus. Getting him back out to the bogs helps heal the both of us.

·
Registered
21,189 Posts
That is awesome!! You are a fantastic dog dad!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts