Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Maggie Mae's Mom Too!
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Vet giggled when she saw Tucker for his Annual exam yesterday. It seems that all of his crazy ball chasing energy has him expending so many calories that I have to bulk him up a bit.... he weighed in at 58lbs and she felt that he needs to be around 65lbs for a good weight. Not that she was concerned at all, but she said, if (Heaven forbid) he should get a virus, he has no reserves of bodyfat. She also said that he was completely solid muscle, again evidence of his strong passion for running after that crazy orange ball of his! :p: He now gets to eat 3 full meals a day and she would like me to add some wet food to 2 of his meals. My Man of luxury now gets a lunch time meal..... and liberal healthy treats like baby carrots, and a scoop of peanut butter every now and then. She went on to say that Tucker is a beautiful guy, and super healthy in every way. at 18 months, he looks " Beautiful". We Celebrated his good report card with a prompt visit to petsmart where he entertained customers, and shopped for his treats, and picked out a new toy which he promptly destroyed when we got home. :) It's so funny to hear that my dog should GAIN weight, as I was always so used to hearing the opposite with Frazier as he got older...

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Our Toby is in the same boat of your Tucker! He's all muscle, no fat and is a lean/mean 54-55 lbs--should be about 59 to 61. He's getting 3 meals per day now too! I used to get the "lecture" with our first Golden who couldn't lose an ounce. We think his other digestive enzyme issues caused the weight loss, but his levels (cobalamin/folate) are now normal.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
TuckersMom

TuckersMom

Tell Tucker this is a good problem to have!

Reactions: Tuckers Mom

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I personally like to hear that pups on hear sometimes need to gain rather than lose. It is much easier to do so! It is just so hard to get some of our pups to lose the pounds if they need to. I swear, every time I try to get weight off of our labs when I am on break at home, when I go back to school all my hard work is gone.

Reactions: Tuckers Mom

·
Maggie Mae's Mom Too!
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I know! Frazier was put on the legendary " Green Bean Diet" several times in his senior years to keep his weight in check, because he just did not have the zest for exercise, he was always a Lazy guy. His Tucker, however, bounces off the walls all day every day. He had his dry kibble mixed with 1/2 can wet lamb and rice this morning, and licked his bowl from one end of the kitchen to the other! :) I think he's liking this "diet" he's on!

·
Registered
103 Posts
we used to have that problem with our first dog (Aussie Shepard, pit bull mix) he was such a spazzy dog and pure muscle. our vet had us give him 3 meals a day just to keep him at a healthy weight. he never minded his diet either!

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Glad to hear Tucker is a healthy boy and good luck with his " diet".

Everytime I take my pit bull Vendetta into the vets they want me to put weight on her. She is very leanall muscle but weights n at 54# which is the high end for her breed so no she doesnt need to gain weight thank you very much.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,628 Posts
That's great to hear Tucker is so healthy, I'm sure you'll be able to get the extra weight on him in no time.

Remy's finally gained some weight and is filling out, he still needs to gain a few more pounds too, but he's coming along.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts