Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep. snitched a leg bone (from fried chicken) off a plate at dinner last night. Still acting normal, no vomiting- and has had about 4 bowel movements since, so things seem to be moving. Been feeding him some bread and extra rice in addition to his regular meals. Hope we see it soon... At least the bones from fried chicken do not seem as brittle as baked chicken... time for some prayers to St Francis...:crossfing

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sure hope so... vet wants to xray if we do not see it by Wednesday. I wondered if he could digest it. He darted around the table before I could catch him. I suspect he may have been chewing on it before he swallowed. They were soft. My wife and I tried chewing on another bone to see how brittle they are. (how goofy are we?) It seemed like we could crush it with our teeth, so I am hoping he did.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Always scary.. I might feed some cooked oatmeal to kind of protect and encourage things along. Sure hope he chewed it well.. I have a cute visual of the 2 of you chewing bones, ha ha.. True love! Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
21,106 Posts
Geez, that's scary. I'm with the vet, if it's not out by Wed., I'd do an x-ray. I have a friend whose dog did that, too. After the surgery, she is just fine.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, he pooped again this morning, just like clockwork. Normal size, no blood, no straining -No bone. Acting like his normal self. We will keep you posted. Beginning to wonder if we are going to see it...

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update- no change in behavior, no vomiting, no blood in stool, regular bowel movements- but no bone! I will touch base with the vet tomorrow- I would think we would have seen it by now if we were going to. Can dogs digest and breakdown bones? I am at a loss, it has been 3 full days.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
As long as he's acting normal I wouldn't worry. Dogs have been forging in garbage for generation and none the worse for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts