Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Phyllis & The Solas Gang
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.... I know that this topic has been posted to death, but I am in a dilemma. I have 4 dogs, Jake has severe food and contact allergies, and is on a fish & potato based food (taste of the Wild). Bella and Hailey are on Diamond Naturals lamb and rice, and Finn is on Diamond Lamb and Rice large puppy.

My problem is One I hate buying three bags of food, and Jake's food is expensive, but necessary. In an effort to save a bit of money, I use the Diamond brand and they seem to do fine on it and it is accessible. I don't know that it is the best quality or that I need to feed Lamb and Rice. All but Jake are allergy free.

So I'm looking a cost effective way to feed good quality of food and streamline the number of bags that I have to buy.I also can't stand that I am constantly at tractor supply buying food because the bags run out at different times. It may seem like I'm whining but I'm just trying to simplify, and feed my babies well.:uhoh:

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I think it would be very easy to ditch the puppy food. My Oakly was on adult food since he came home on the breeders advice. Her thoughts were that adult food would promote slower growth for better joint development.

·
Phyllis & The Solas Gang
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oakley's dad.... I thoguht about that, but was unsure if he was to young. What do you feed?

·
2 goldens and a BMD
841 Posts
Agree that it would be easy to ditch the puppy food. None of my dogs ever had puppy food.

My complaints about feeding different foods got me no sympathy from any of my friends with multiple dogs. Yes, it would be nice, but in reality, I'm not going to mess with what works. I have one with a very sensitive stomach and the only thing I've found that works for him is Evo. I have another allergic to a few ingredients in the Evo and that one gets Acana. Fortunately my young one doesn't seem to have as many problems so he gets the Evo along side the other one.

I once had the owner of the natural pet food store try to convince me that I could get all three on the same food, but honestly it took 4 years to find something that works for the sensitive stomach and 2 years to find a food that works for the one with allergies and trying to get them all on one food is not worth the runny poop and ear infections I'd probably deal with until/if I found something to work for them.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I'd switch Finn over to the adult Diamond. Our daughter/fiance have 3 dogs, different ages, different sizes. They all eat Iams LB and all do fine.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I agree, switch Finn to adult food or move them all over to the Taste of the Wild. It is an All Life Stage food so they should all do fine!

·
Phyllis & The Solas Gang
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with Kgiff. I would never switch Jake form the Taste of the Wild Food. It has kept him from having ear infections and other issues. I have had all of them on this brand as well, but it gets very expensive feeding everyone on it.I also don't feel like If they aren't allergic I should be feeding them a food used for dogs that have allergies.What happens down the road if they develop an allergy were do you go after Fish and Potato?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Im switching over to TOTW and I know its expensive..I feed 3 cats of TOTW...But man it is a good food. I was just getting ready to do this and thought Id suggest it to you but what about finding a cheaper supplier online. I dont know if there are any out there but I was going to look for an online supplier that might be cheaper offer special sales with shipping. You know spend X amount and get free shipping. I could easily spend $70 just getting enough food for the dogs and cats for 3 wks.

Just thought I figured Id pass on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts