Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked at images on the OFA site and am curious what you think of these.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I don't have enough knowledge to offer any opinion at all! Usually the vet who takes the xrays will offer an opinion, did they say anything?

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I would venture a "Good" on hips.
Elbows I have no idea.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Bogey's Mom

Bogey's Mom

What did the vet say?

·
Kate
21,682 Posts
The left elbow is one I keep looking at.... Are elbows just like hips and the joint needs to be more rounded?

I don't claim to understand how the OFA looks at elbows and gets normals.

Good luck and hope these all come back good. :)

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The vet said they looked good, but she is not an orthopedic vet. I agree that the hips look good to me, but I do not know how to read elbows.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Bogey'smom and I were on the phone talking about the left elbow as well. I think the hips look awesome, with the left one being excellent but the right one having a flatter surface and being good. If the left elbow has a ding, it is still pretty good- not sure!

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Here are Copley's elbows that did not pass(Grade I DJD):

Here are Lushie's that did pass:

·
Kate
21,682 Posts
Jill - I'm trying to understand what I'm looking at with those xrays...

The "ball" looks round, which is what I didn't see with that left elbow and even the right was difficult to see. I don't know if it is the difference in who did the xrays though. Some of these xrays just look "different" and still come back normal.

I do see a dink in the rim. Is that why they didn't pass?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a blown up version of his left elbow. If you click on it it should be even bigger.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
I think Bogey's Mom's xrays look like Lushie's that did pass. I am not exactly sure why Copley's did not- the vets all said 50/50 shot, and I had them done twice. He's never been lame. However, when I look at the ones Bogey'smom showed us, they look better, aside from that little ding on the left one. Cops is getting tutored as we speak. I'm pretty crushed.

However, I am extremely hopeful for Bogey'smom bc these xrays look great to me

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I think the hips look good. Elbows are so tough to read..that's why mine go to OFA! But I think the there is more sclerosis in the left elbow, which is one of the things you see in ED. Having said that, the experts are the radiologists....

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Most dogs that I know with Grade I elbows never have an issue...

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Not sure about the elbows but hips look good to me.

Wow Jill I am so sorry Copley didn't pass. You must be crushed. I know at least one person who has gone through two dogs now that could not pass hips. This person has been wanting to show and breed. It's so tough.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Hips look good to me too ..

Jill - sorry Copley did not pass. That is a really tough, tough break.

·
Kate
21,682 Posts
Wow Jill I am so sorry Copley didn't pass. You must be crushed. I know at least one person who has gone through two dogs now that could not pass hips. This person has been wanting to show and breed. It's so tough.
^ Oh no.... I didn't realize these were recent/the ones you were looking forward to getting back. :(

I'm so sorry... I'm glad they are only grade 1. You can still go after obedience with him and I'm sure right up through old age he will be leading the way on your hikes.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
It has been along time since I read x-ray and something about the left elbow is bothering me. I dont know what it is exactly. The hips are good the left one is not as good as the right one IMO.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone. Just a waiting game now.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Jill, I'm so sorry to hear about Copley. What a disappointment. I know this isn't huge consolation at the moment, but my Toby was mildly dysplastic in his left hip, symptomatic and diagnosed by xray at 6 months old, and it never effected his quality of life until he was over 12 years old.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts