Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'll be leaving in a little while to try for our first UDX leg today!
We did a fun match last night (same site as the show, how nice is THAT!) and he NQ'd both utility and open, but he did a great job. Both NQ's were just "one of those things". In utility he actually might have Q'd, but on the signal exercise I wasn't sure he was all the way down (elbows might not have been on the ground, hard to tell with the feathering sometimes) on the signal down, so I gave a verbal command just in case. :mad: Other than that, he did a great job.
In open, on the drop on recall, when I called him the first time he just sat there staring around the room. :doh: It's a very crowded, very noisy venue with 5 obedience rings and 2 rally rings going at once, and he just had an ADD moment. Called him a second time, he did the drop etc. just fine. Oh well, it happens. We've only ever shown in open 4 times, never in open B, and our last open show was last Nov. so this should prove interesting! And of course we've never shown in Utility B, either. I know he's not quite ready to take this on, but the shows are only an hour away and lots of people I know are going, so it will be a good time.
Anyway, we plan to have some fun today. It's really funny, when I know he's not really ready for something like this, I feel very relaxed. I consider this just some ring time, and whatever happens, happens. It's when I know he's ready that I feel pressured. Weird, huh?

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Good luck! We will be rooting for you!

·
OTCH Wannabes!
3,088 Posts
Nahh..it's not weird! I think it's perfectly normal to be relaxed..if you're relaxed..he will be too. I think that with the more times you show and do lots of things like a run thrus..you both become more relaxed and one day you'll be ready to take on those B rings! I love watching the B rings..they are soo much fun to watch. You've got all those OTCh dogs out there and they are stunning! =] Have fun..if you don't do well...well...you can eat cookies and maybe feel better!

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Great luck you two! I can't wait to hear all about it later today. Have fun and enjoy the day.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
good luck :)

·
Gone to the Goldens ;)
1,150 Posts
Nahh..it's not weird! I think it's perfectly normal to be relaxed..if you're relaxed..he will be too. I think that with the more times you show and do lots of things like a run thrus..you both become more relaxed and one day you'll be ready to take on those B rings!!
I totally agree with this. I am still pretty freaked out about Utility, which is why we haven't shown yet. The thing is, I know Layla is ready, it is ME who is not ready :doh:. I did notice in Open A that the more I showed, the more relaxed I was. For our last CDX leg, I was just gonna let whatever happen, happen. Sometimes, our dogs surprise us in the midst of all of that pressure. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts