Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my pup is 27 days old :) and i am very happy i got it. but i am facing problems with its behavior cuz its biting me always and even barking. my previous pup didnt do all this so i am confused. its a bit toilet trained already and eats food from bowl though i am also using feeding bottle and puppy formula sometimes. the biting and barking is getting a bit annoying. i know its too young but my previous pup was just as young when i got her....but she was more silent and barked first when she was 2 months old. i am having trouble with this.

it is cuz its a male pup? what am i doing wrong? i am not over or under feeding it. i just received the pup from the breeder this morning. please help me and if there are any questions i am willing to answer as i have no idea where to start and what to say.

anyway i love my pup and i want to find a way to make it stop barking and biting too much. its too young and if i let it do as it pleases he may grow up to be a noisy dog. thank you. :)

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
27 days...that's not even 4 weeks old. Is it normal where you live to get a puppy that young? I got my puppy when she was 8 weeks old. That gave her the opportunity to stay much longer with her mother (I believe she was 5 weeks old when the breeder started with something extra apart from mother's milk...) and her littermates, which taught her a lot about bite inhibition and behaving in general. Your pup simply is too young...is there no way the breeder will take him back for a few more weeks?

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Your pup

Did you say your pup is less than a month old and you have it?
The breeder gave it to you that young?
Pups should not be away from their dog mother until 8 wks. old.

·
Mr. Wilson's mom too!!
130 Posts
sorry OP i am not an expert, but that puppy should be with it's momma for a couple more weeks, i would have zero expecations of my a 4 week old puppy:( i agree with the PP that pup should go back to the breeder for a couple more weeks

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
He needs to go back to his mom for a few more weeks, to be properly weaned onto dog food at the appropriate age and learn how to 'be a dog' from his mom and littermates. Pups learn how to interact with other dogs, how to play appropriately and very importantly, bite inhibition from their mom and littermates. I can't imagine why a 'breeder' would separate a pup from it's mom at such a young age -- truly sad.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Is this for real? 27 days old and you received one previously at this age? Where are you from? Is this normal practice where you live? Your poor puppy is probably treating you like a litter mate with all of the biting and barking. He is after all entirely too young to be weaned from his mother and litter mates. Take him back to the breeder and wait until he is 8 weeks old.

·
Registered
513 Posts
my pup is 27 days old :) and i am very happy i got it. but i am facing problems with its behavior cuz its biting me always and even barking. my previous pup didnt do all this so i am confused. its a bit toilet trained already and eats food from bowl though i am also using feeding bottle and puppy formula sometimes. the biting and barking is getting a bit annoying. i know its too young but my previous pup was just as young when i got her....but she was more silent and barked first when she was 2 months old. i am having trouble with this.

it is cuz its a male pup? what am i doing wrong? i am not over or under feeding it. i just received the pup from the breeder this morning. please help me and if there are any questions i am willing to answer as i have no idea where to start and what to say.

anyway i love my pup and i want to find a way to make it stop barking and biting too much. its too young and if i let it do as it pleases he may grow up to be a noisy dog. thank you. :)
I am shocked that this pup has been sold to you - separated from his mother and litter-mates at 27 days also that a breeder would let you take a puppy that young. Please, if you can, take it back to the breeder so it can be with it's mother - it is much too young.

·
Premium Member
18,108 Posts
I am going to agree with everyone, this puppy has been taken away from it's mother at the very least 4 weeks too soon! He should never have been taken away from the mother and his littermates until he was 8 weeks old, or even better 9 weeks old!

However, to answer your question about the biting and barking. He would have learned from mom and the other puppies not to bite so hard. Barking is probably because he is alone and scared. A puppy that is old enough to be removed from the litter and mother will still bite, it is totally normal for puppies to use their mouths on everything in their world, it's how they play, learn, and communicate.

Because he will not learn from other puppies and his mom not to bite so hard, you will have a lot of work to do yourself teaching him bite inhibition.

Please see if you can return your puppy to the mother until he is at least 8 weeks old.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
guys i agree with everyone as well but its normal practice here. 3-6 week old pups are sold. i even had a chat with the vet and the breeder about pup's health and other things. after i heard that he was feeding it some **** instead of letting it stay with mom it angered me a lot. hence i bought pup formula. i cant take it back to breeder. if i am right the pup was kept away from his mother cuz he was feeding the pup some ****. its my guess. the breeders where i live (in my country) majority of them are like this. the pups are all hot sellers so its hard even get one pup. so 6-8 weeks old pups are not available easily. only very few breeders sell pups of that age. and honestly speaking i didnt know the pup was (again) that young.

the current pup's pic..sleeping in my lap...

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/2633/dsc003601.jpg

as i said i have had a previous pup which was 25 days old. i took care of it 24/7. it grew up healthy and well. bite inhibition is one problem i had had to face earlier too but as she grew up she didnt bite anymore. currently i gave the pup a squeaky toy to chew on and i am trying to do my best with this pup too.

please give me ideas to help me cuz i have no other options. even if i am against it i cant do anything.

PS: my previous golden retriever was taken away from me by my parents and given for adoption when i was sleeping. i am still in shock over what they did. i tried finding my dog which was 3 years old but i couldnt track the guy who took her in (T__T) at the reception he left i message not to try to get my dog back from him. i have been betrayed by my parents and dog stolen from me. this pup was given to me as compensation for what they did. this was my previous dog...some pics..

ImageShack(TM) slideshow

·
Premium Member
18,108 Posts
What a terrible thing for your parents to do with your first dog, he is beautiful, I am so sorry he is not with you any longer.

With this new puppy, you will just have to be patient. Each dog is an individual and will not behave just like the first. Keep soft chew toys available to put in his mouth when he wants to bite, he thinks he is just playing like he would with another puppy or dog. You will just need to distract him with a toy or petting when he barks. I would probably put a warm water bottle in a towel for him to sleep with so he feels warmth and can cuddle with it.

He is adorable, there is nothing cuter than a baby Golden Retriever. I hope you will keep posting on the board and let us know how things are going with your baby.

What is his name?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
You are hesitant to mention where you are from. I am thinking many different thoughts. Would you rather be part of the solution or part of the problem? Having a puppy, especially that young requires A LOT of work. You've already mentioned that you work and can't make time for the puppy. You want to house train the puppy in a very unnatural way,using puppy pads and/or a artificial grass turf area inside the house. If your parents took your previous puppy away at three years of age while you slept, what prevents them from doing it again? Do you think you could join an organization where you live, perhaps a rescue organization to help facilitate humane treatment of dogs? Help educate others about spaying and neutering. Puppy mills are not the way to make an extra buck. I don't care how bad the economy is. Do something honest by not keeping these types of business schmucks in business. Surely there has to be a better way.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Obviously this person is in a repressed country where things are very different then what 'we' know. I feel for them and for the pup and hope they can make it work.

I hope they keep us updated...

·
Registered
639 Posts
I think it's hard for us to offer opinions because your situation is very different from what many of us deal with. As other folks have said it's common for most of us to get pups around 7 - 9 weeks so 4 week old is something most of us don't have experience with.

I can tell you that Goldens are often pretty mouthy and many of us went through a phase of a lot of biting from our pups those first few months. It's very normal and you might experience a bad case of it since your guy didn't learn any of those manners from his litter.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:) his name is Yuki i chose the japanese name cuz it means courage and snow (depends on kanji though) i love snow and i want my dog to be courageous and grow up well. also i find peace wen i am with my beloved goldens.

:( i will never ever forgive my parents for what they did. i went into severe depression and showed signs of psychosis...i became suicidal cuz i lost her. new pup gave me courage to live on but i will always always always miss my previous dog. (T_T) i loved her as my own child/sister/best friend...she was my everything. i still cry myself to sleep every night. its like i lost my own child.

i called the breeder and he said that the pup's mother died :( and among the litter only two survived. he didnt give me any other details and said he fed the tiny pup and took care of it till i got it. i feel sorry for little pup (T__T). i hope i can be a good mama for him and yes i will be patient as you said since i have had exp before so i guess i can do better this time. i will do everything i can so he can grow up as a handsome dog.

i have already provided soft toys :) there is soft squeaky rhino and a rubber chicken leg that squeaks, a soft ball (he cant hold it as its big so he plays with it by rolling it) and a soft stuffed bear, its 4 inch tall and has no tiny things that he can swallow its 100% cotton with cross-stitch eyes, nose and mouth. i will keep him warm as you advised.

i always keep raw hide chewsticks like these so the pup can bite/chew all it wants instead of biting my hands. though i throw them out at night as they cant eat it but it sure kept them busy

if anyone has any more ideas please do share and help my pup. thanks.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Have you brought the puppy in for a vet check? If the mother died and all but 2 of the pups died, I'd be very concerned about the health of your puppy. Your job right now is to be its mother, its caretaker, its protector, and you need to make sure it is as healthy as it can be. It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job so far, but I would definitely take it to see a vet. And when you're at the vet, don't let your puppy touch the floors. She is so very young and she could catch all sorts of things if she's not protected.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You are hesitant to mention where you are from. I am thinking many different thoughts. Would you rather be part of the solution or part of the problem? Having a puppy, especially that young requires A LOT of work. You've already mentioned that you work and can't make time for the puppy. You want to house train the puppy in a very unnatural way,using puppy pads and/or a artificial grass turf area inside the house. If your parents took your previous puppy away at three years of age while you slept, what prevents them from doing it again? Do you think you could join an organization where you live, perhaps a rescue organization to help facilitate humane treatment of dogs? Help educate others about spaying and neutering. Puppy mills are not the way to make an extra buck. I don't care how bad the economy is. Do something honest by not keeping these types of business schmucks in business. Surely there has to be a better way.

i am from india (thats why i typed "far away"). i dont work and i dont think i mentioned "work" i can devote myself to the pup 24/7 thats no biggie. my parents were ****ing fools for all i know. if they repeat it i am committing suicide or breaking their bones thats it. no argument over it and i have already told them that. they took me to ER and stuff happened i was given meds and "****ing saved"...thats why there is a pup now cuz they and i couldnt find my previous dog and i would have died few days back. they dont want me dead or going crazy cuz i am their only daughter.

as for puppy mills i hate to admit it but peeps in my country are **** they only want $$ no one follows the rules. there is one organization close to my home but its not very active. dont get me started on peeps here. they make me sick.

puppy is already toilet trained a bit and he barks and whines wen he wants to go "potty" when i let him out he does it and returns back. i dont have any problems there.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you brought the puppy in for a vet check? If the mother died and all but 2 of the pups died, I'd be very concerned about the health of your puppy. Your job right now is to be its mother, its caretaker, its protector, and you need to make sure it is as healthy as it can be. It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job so far, but I would definitely take it to see a vet. And when you're at the vet, don't let your puppy touch the floors. She is so very young and she could catch all sorts of things if she's not protected.
i already did. the vet said he was healthy and 100% fine. he also said he will help me with pup's diet so the pup will grow up healthy. it was the first thing i did when i got the pup...i ran over to the vet nearby for a check up and registration at vet-clinic. i had wrapped the pup in a large towel and didnt let go of the pup and kept eye on it. people nearby came over to touch it, they had sick dogs and all...after i started yelling no one came near me and the pup. the vet gave him a thorough checkup. i hadnt known about the mom when i went to vet. :( i called the breeder after reading the posts on forum. i will be going to the vet after 3 days he said he will give me puppy food and supplements.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does anyone here know any breeders/vets in India that we could connect this person with? And quickly?
please dont worry my home is close to vet-clinic and 1 mile away from Institute of veterinary sciences. if there is a problem i will run over there ASAP. i also have vet's number and clinic is open 24 hrs thats a good thing. as for the pup i will do my best. i dont mind caring for the pup for few more weeks until it older. it makes me happy having someone to care for. since i am a lonely person without friends and got betrayed by family. my only happiness and smile is from the pup. thanks for worrying.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts