Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Shameless and Proud
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am petsitting for these two dogs and they are very cute white fluffy mixes. The woman did warn em that the larger of the two (we'll call him D) will nip if you go down to his level and to just let him come to you. Well the smaller one S is also trouble and seems to like to bark a lot. I did meet the dogs before the owner left with the owner home and yes I did notice that they were a bit standoffish and didn't like me ("the big bad awful intruder") in the house but the owner assured me that they would be better when she wasn't around.

This wasn't really so.

This morning was the first time I went and they started off by barking and running away, S was so upset that he pooped in the house. D went out and peed and as I tried to hook him up for a walk (something I was told was his ABSOLUTE favorite) he snapped at me (hand near collar with stupid retractable leash). I only got him to pee in the first place because they are on an invisible fence. S on the other hand finally went out side and was so busy running big circles around me and barking that he got zapped by the electric fence (twice!).

On one hand I can't help but be proud of their willingness to defend their house, on the other hand I see SERIOUS behavioral issues and LOTS of fear aggression.

Now keep in mind this service was silent auctioned off at a fundraiser and came with training as part of the package, which they have declined. Instead the dogs are supposed to get 3 30 minute walks a day.

Instead it is 30 minutes of me trying to get them out side, hiding so they don't know I'm there (who knows what S will do tonight when has to poop again, apparently he likes an audience) Now, I would have no problem putting a slip leash over their head and walking them like that but they have electric fences and getting them on and off is more trouble than it is worth at this point. I also would like to keep in the budget set by the auction without wasting my time, and at the same time first and foremost I want to make sure the dogs are being properly being properly cared for.

Does me chasing S and D around the yard give them ample exercise? Yes it does. Does it cause them undue stress? Yes it does.

This afternoon when I went I left the door to the garage open and to the laundry room. I went into the main part of the house and waited until they were outside (me opening the door to the garage and waiting for them to come outside to me elicited them barking at me then running back in the house. D peed (thank god) but S just barked his pretty little head off.

I certainly will not allow them full reign of the house but they do have the garage and basement (it is a mild 40-50 degrees here with some days in the 60-70s.)

Any suggestions?

I drop food they ignore it I try and sit to make myself smaller and they lunge and try and bite. I jsut want to get my bird handling gloves grab onto D and hold onto him until he behaves, but that really won't work.

On Friday when I have more time in the daylight I am going to go and sit and wait for them to stop barking at me and every time they stop I will click and drop a piece of chicken. But how should I react if one tried to bite me?

If Moxie behaved like this she would be outside tied to a tree. (Well you get the idea).

The owners do not get back until Wednesday so yes I do have time to fix this.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I would just go there for the half hour and let them out. Tell the owners you didn't walk them because you couldn't get close enough to them to handle them safely and put their leashes on, so weren't about to risk their lives taking them off the property. You might want to take a good book, sit on the ground and read with their food nearby and totally ignore them for the most part. Might be the best training option, and they may get used to you depending on how long you're around.

It's up to the owners to make arrangements to socialize and train the dogs, if they declined that there's not a lot you can do. Just make it clear you did not walk the dogs for their own safety. If you say all was well and they find out from the neighbor you never walked them it would be a lot worse, this way you're at least honest with them and they'll either be fine with it or not. I'm guessing they either know how bad the dogs are and didn't want you to back out, or have had pet sitters in the past who find it easier to say 'everything went fine' so they get hired again.

Lana

·
Shameless and Proud
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They will certainly know the dogs were not walked because they receive detailed notes on each day. I have expressly detailed the body language and behavior I noticed, what I have interpreted it as and how I have decided to move from there. I have also noted all bowel movements and eating habits.

(this is why I don't have to advertise)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts