Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I have not posted before today and was told that I need to post or possibly be deleted. So, here it goes.

Trixie is my 3rd Golden Retriever. She is almost 10 months old. She is very much a puppy. We take daily walks, we attended puppy kindergarten and we have gone to other obedience/socialization classes. I have not decided what route I want to go, I prefer Obedience to Rally competitions, I have not tried Agility but that is a possibility. I have been feeding her Nutrisource Large Breed Puppy and wondering when would be a good time to switch to an adult dog food? She has not been spayed yet, she is scheduled for this procedure in December 2019. I worry about the benefits of spaying v. non-spaying. I first two Goldens had cancer (osteosarcoma) and who knows if it was related to being spayed too early. So, I hope 1 year gives Trixie the time to mature enough and possibly prevent cancers but I am not sure, the science seems to indicate it may.

Anyway, I am enjoying our journey together. She surprises me every day with her antics and silly behavior. She loves her meals and walks and seems to be a very happy, well-adjusted puppy. I feel grateful that she is in my life.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,283 Posts
Welcome!

Trixie's adorable, pretty girl.
Great to hear how well she's doing and how much you're enjoying the journey with her.

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
Hello. I switched my pup to adult food at around 8 months. That is also when I went from feeding her 3X a day to 2X a day. I also spayed her at 12 months after her first heat. That's what worked best for our family. Trixie is adorable :)

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
What a sweet face. Thanks for sharing about Trixie with us.

·
Ann
385 Posts
Hello and welcome. Trixie is adorable. I switched Bear, 14 mos, to Purina Pro Plan Savor for adults when he was 12 mos but it’s probably ok at 10 mos. I’m going to wait to have him neutered at 2 unless he becomes aggressive (which I seriously doubt as he is so sweet tempered). I’ve had all my dogs neutered at about six months (vet’s suggestion). Years ago that was pretty much what was suggested. However, now my vet suggests later. Good luck with Trixie. Please keep posting pics. She’s too cute!

Attachments

·
Registered
17,489 Posts
Hi and welcome, Trixie is absolutely gorgeous!.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Welcome to you and beautiful Miss Trixie :) It's wonderful when your pup does something new or interesting each day. They fill our life will love and awe...can hardly wait to hear more about her and see pictures as she gets a little older.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts