Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I think I might be gearing up to get the big gun in ecollars. I bought a used tritronics that I have been fairly happy with but since I am going further than I originally intended I want a newer and nicer collar...one that will hopefully last me through my next dog or two when the time comes.

My question is if anyone knows the difference between the regular one and the single dog one. The website does not really definitely say. They cost the same...?

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
I don't know the difference, but I have heard that it is the Cadillac of e-collars. Did you find a good price?

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,587 Posts
I'm still using my old 500XL model and it's a single dog unit. At the time this one came out you could get a two dog model but since I was trading in a two dog system I knew I didn't need or want that option anymore.

(Seriously the multi dog set up is more trouble than it's worth.)

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I didn't find a fantastic price...but if I am going to put the money into a nice collar that will last I might as well start with the best...ya know? I have an old tritronics single dog and they do have the trade-up program where if you send in your old collar you get 25% off a new one. It must be the same as far as single dog or multi-dog. I emailed the company to ask them if my single dog would trade-up for the Pro. Not sure if there is a difference between the two?

·
Riot's mom
632 Posts
I have a Pro 500 that I am borrowing from a friend right now. I love it! I believe that the multidog system has a little switch on it to go from dog one to dog two. I guess you just have to remember which dog is which. Other than that, I think all the buttons and levels are the same.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Have you checked the price at The Collar Clinic? Not sure if they sell new or not. I know they have serviced my old TT collar (the huge bulky one) and it is still running like a charm, though I don't use it much. I have a smaller Dogtra that I am using and happy with, but would like to upgrade to the TT500 someday.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,587 Posts
I would also suggest a look at the collar clinic. I actually like the older models (tube type transmitter) better. If you can find a Pro 500XL or XLS, buy it.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have checked periodically...but again if I am going to put a big chunk of change in I just assume get it new, get the best, and take good care of it so that it can last for a very long time (I hope). It probably won't be until early next year as I think that is where I am sinking my tax return. And if I can trade-up 25% is pretty fantastic....on a $500 that is $125 off. No small potatoes. Once you take that much off too I don't think the collar clinic looks as attractive.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Never mind the link, ya, $125 off looks real good, I might even be able to justify that! Where are you looking? Also, let me know if they do trade in the old ones...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I use the Pro 500 EXP. Since they cost the same, why not get the EXP? It works the same as the single dog model but you just keep the switch in the same place all the time. If you want to add another collar to it, you always have that option. I think ( but don't know) that the single dog is exactly the same but doesn't have the switch between collars. I do know that the 'working' buttons are all in the same place.

The Collar clinic is a great place, but it is tough to beat going directly through TT if they are offering the trade in deal

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I have a Pro 500 G3 and and am happy with it but a Pro 100 would have done just as well. I don't use the nick levels I leave it on constant and nick with it. I have the multi-dog one and it works well. The collars are color coded as well as the switch. Much better than my Dogtra 3500

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would not get the EXP simply because the trade up program says it must be like for like (i.e. single dog for single dog or multi-dog for multi-dog). My current one is a single dog.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would not get the EXP simply because the trade up program says it must be like for like (i.e. single dog for single dog or multi-dog for multi-dog). My current one is a single dog.
Call them about that. I know for a fact that it is possible to do this. I traded in my old pro 500, which was a single dog model, for a pro 500 EXP and got the credit. Now, I only purchased the one collar at that time. They may have changed since then, but it is worth a call to find out.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Danger with the multidog model is the selection switch getting bumped off the dog you are working--it can move in your pocket--so if you go that route always check that collar strap matches the selector before you run your dog. I put an elestic around mine--aobve the elstic for the black strap collar, held between the wraps for the red strap collar, and below them for the blue strap collar. If you only have one dog, then it may be a redundant feature, and more of a pain than it is worth--but if you are considering a second dog down the road then it could be a feature you want. I know that the pro I day train with has two single dog units--one is on the dog she is working, and her assistant puts the other on the dog on-deck--then there are no switch mixups as the transimitter is handed over with the leash!

I went with a multi-dog 100 because it allows me to have three of the critters out for a romp at one time. I went 100 instead of 500, because the multi-dog 500 has a toggle to switch collars, and another toggle to switch between momentary and continuous, as well as the two stimulation buttons. Too many things for me to get muddled! I just use my continuous buttons in a nick fashion, and even a lot of the people I know with the 500 have a piece of electrical tape holding that toggle in the continuous position and do the same as I do to give a nick.

Reactions: Radarsdad

·
the party's crashing us
4,280 Posts
Do they even sell the single dog unit any more? I have a 500 model single dog unit that is about 4 years old, and thought they didn't even make the single dog anymore. ANYWAYS -- I prefer the single dog unit for all the reasons mentioned, mainly I don't ever want to mix it up and zap the wrong dog. It is not a problem at all just to take the collar off of one dog when they get put up and put it on the next dog when they get out. The momentary vs. continuous toggle does occasionally get bumped on mine so I would worry about the 2 dog collar doing the same. I am absolutely with you, if you can afford it get the best collar you can get, you will not regret it. One of my training partners has an ancient TT collar he got from the collar clinic, it drives me insane and I can't figure out why he won't buy a new one. I don't even know how his collar works, it's really big and clunky. Ugg!!

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok just called them and they said I can upgrade even with single dog to multi-dog. So now I need to decide if I want multi-dog. I know there will be another dog down the road but it will be a few years yet...I don't want to make the mistake of nicking the wrong dog but I also would love to be able to have them both on one transmitter if out hunting with both. Hmmm..

·
Registered
986 Posts
Frankly, any TT Pro500 is better than any other collar of any model, IMO. What you appear to be asking is which model of Pro 500 is better, if any? The answer is that the newest model - the G3 - is the best, but not all for big reasons. It has a smaller transmitter that fits the hand even better than the others, is lighter, charges both transmitter & receiver in charging bases, as great battery life, the usual outstanding ergonimics/control layout, and is waterproof; both transmitter & receiver. It also has the same choices of stimulus at your fingertips. You can literally choose any of its functions and select them without ever having to look at the transmitter. That means you can keep you gaze fixed on the dog.

We have one of every model of Pro500 they've made, and they're all good. I truly love the new G3. By the way. the "G" stands for "Generation". Each generation has upgraded features.

EvanG

·
Registered
986 Posts
They are, feature for feature, the same unit. Whether or not you see a need for multiple receivers is up to you. If you have multiple dogs to work in the field, it's nice to leave the collars on all the time you're out there, and then take them off at home. That is one little hedge against the triggers in the field environment changing. Plus it's just handy. It also gives you an extra if you have a problem with one.

EvanG

1 - 20 of 44 Posts