Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Trippy has aged out of the puppy forum it's time to start him a new thread. The squirrels are in over drive, and the dogs are always on the alert in case one decides to fall from the sky. Today I think Tripp thought he could reach far enough up the tree to catch one.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I can just picture him climbing that tree.

·
Super Moderator
16,925 Posts
Love that photo, with the slight head tilt, he's a gorgeous boy!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We had our Nosework class tonight. It's amazing to me how he does as well as the more experienced dogs. Our instructor made allowances when we first joined this class, it is the competition class. But Tripp now just finds the hides like all the other dogs. We have obedience Friday night, and have a UKC Nosework trial this weekend so will miss our Sunday agility. Tripp is only entered in the PT Novice, if he passes that test we are entered in Novice Containers. Tugg is entered in all four elements in Advanced. Hopefully he can earn a couple of those titles.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
he is very clever and very determined. If he had thumbs I'd be big trouble.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We spent the morning at a UKC Nosework Trial. My husband and Tugg earned their Advanced Container and Advanced Exterior titles, with very respectable times. I only entered Tripp in Novice Containers, he had to pass his PT test in Novice before we could trial, he passed it, he was very distracted, but got his act together. So on to the actual searches, he passed both, the first one he was still a little distracted, but the second search was very nice. So now he has his UKC NC title. Tomorrow we go back, if my husband and Tugg pass one search in Vehicles and Interior they will have earned their UKC AN title. Tripp isn't entered in anything tomorrow, but will go along for the ride. It's my birthday today, and my husband and one of our instructors surprised me with a birthday cake. It was a very nice day.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This isn't really about Trippy, except in the sense he came along to cheer his brother on. My husband and Tugg earned their UKC Advanced Nosework Title, and even got a first place in one of his interior searches and a fourth place in one of his vehicles searches. I am very proud of them both. Tripp wasn't entered today. We didn't pick up our ribbons from yesterday so got them all today, and Tripp is very excited with his NC title ribbon. I should have got a picture but forgot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We had an off site Nosework field trip presented by Nancy Reyes. Nancy is a hoot, and one of the best Nosework instructors around. We've had the privilege of taking lessons from her for several years. Took Tripp and Tugg last night. We searched vehicles and exteriors at a local township garage, Tripp did well, found his hides, just needs more confidence and maturity which will come with age and experience. Tugg was a rock star, he is a seasoned Nosework dog, nothing fazes him. I am so glad I discovered this sport several years ago and very glad my husband loves it as much as I do. We have a blast doing it together and spending time with our dogs. Two weeks from Saturday Tugg and my husband are in a NW 2. Whether they earn the title or not doesn't matter. You always crate in the car at NACSW events, all three dogs can go, it becomes a tail gating event in the parking lot and you cheer your fellow competitors on. I am looking forward to it.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I always thought my first love was obedience. Until now. I discovered Nosework. I still love Obedience. And will continue to train to compete with Tripp in that venue. But I am so excited to work with this puppy dog in Nosework. Watch him gain confidence, work consistently, and all I have to do is be there for him, to listen to him, to watch for his alert signals. And it is a sport my husband and I are loving because we can do it together. Tugg and my husband have become a lovely team to watch. Tugg doesn't work anymore for the rewards, the treats. He works because he wants to. At our last trial my husband forgot to make sure he had enough treats in his pocket, after the warmup boxes he found he didn't have any left. Tugg did not care. I hope Tripp and I can continue to progress to the level Tugg and my husband are at. And I hope we continue to have a blast together on this journey.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Honestly he and his sister Tally are CLONES in terms of looks - except boy and Girl versions ;-) I'll have to get a current photo so we can compare them.
Tally and I are finally doing a Canine Good Citizen class - it's a long trip in to the Kennel Club from my new house but I am making the trek. She is just plain amazing at obedience - quick, smart, very biddable. I may have to get more serious about working with her.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No NW 2 title for Tugg and Danny today. Weather was horrible, we even had a lightning warning and had to leave the parking lot and go in the building, which was a little difficult seeing as we had all three dogs with us. Danny and Tugg actually did very well, false alerted on containers, which was a little odd, containers is the element they usually do very well on. They qualified in all the other elements, and during the awards ceremony we were very thrilled and surprised when it was announced they earned a First Place Ribbon for their work in interiors. And seeing as only 1 competitor out of 38 earned their NW 2 Title today, we left feeling pretty happy. My husband was really feeling down, after the false alert, it was I think the second element of the day but he managed to put it all behind him rocked the rest of the day.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
after several weeks of no agility classes, i thought he would be a lunatic today. He was a bit of a lunatic, but all in all didn't do too bad. His weave poles have fallen apart, so better start practicing at home again. But his focus was pretty good. And he had fun. Then we did a drop in on my husband's afternoon Nosework class. The hides were in various types of suitcases/bags/back packs, Tripp decided today his alert was to lay down on the bag. It was cute, but I'm not sure if I want to encourage it. it was a fun day, I think we will do a little weave pole practice before it gets too dark outside.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how not to do a recall, by Tripp

last night my mom and dad and i went to obedience class. it was lots of fun, well, for me it was lots of fun. mom, not so much. i was being a pretty good boy, up until the sits and downs and recalls. i broke my sit, so mom put me back in place. then on the downs, i decided i didn't want to lay down, several times. anyways, then we had our recalls. mom left me, i got up, she came back and put me back in a sit and told me to stay. i decided i better stay. mom was not looking like she was having fun. then when mom walked all the way across the ring, turned and called my name i knew she wasn't mad anymore so i took off, right at her, at full speed which i have to be truthful, is pretty fast. she got this panicky look in her face because apparently she thought i wasn't going to stop, which to be honest, i forgot i was supposed to stop in front of her and sit pretty. i thought i might just leap up into her arms. i slammed into her shoulder and almost knocked her down. the nice lady who tells us what to do came over, asked mom if she was okay. mom said she was okay but she thought it was time to take this wild puppy home. i guess she meant me. mom is fine today and we practiced our sits and downs. maybe later we can practice recalls, i certainly don't want to scare mom like that anymore. on the way home i heard her say to dad, trippy might only get to be a nosework dog. i am too old for this stuff. which i wouldn't mind at all cause i really love nosework.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Oh Tripp, we admire your enthusiasm but please try not to injure your mom! Your sister Tally has a little too much enthusiasm these days too and sometimes forgets everything she learned in her class too.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts