Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ellesimmo
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you have to trim your Goldens nails, we are surrounded by fields and my dogs have limited concrete or roads to walk on.

Have you any tips or products you use, do you use clippers or the battery driven grinder.

Look forward to advice and ideas.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
I take Bayne to the vet and she says probably needs it only every 2 to 3 months, he wears them down by digging and we walk on paved roads and sandy to rocky trails. Last time we clipped we got the quick on 4 nails that was the end of us doing it and off to the vet we go. I don't mind paying the $18 every 2 or 3 months, he can get weighed and the vet can give the quick once over as to his visual appearance.

·
Kate
20,616 Posts
I use clippers. Millers Forge clippers since they stay sharp a long time. <- You do not want to use dull clippers which pinch the nail or leave them ragged.

Clip a smidgeon tip at a time + reward after each clip.

Don't try to do all the nails at once.

Trim the toefur first so you can see what you are doing.

Don't panic if you clip the quick. If you are just snipping a smidgeon at a time, it should not be a bad bleed. Cornstarch works pretty good at stopping the bleeding.

Here's an article with more tips -

ASPCA - Virtual Pet Behaviorist - Trimming Your Dog

·
& Golden Roxy And Roo To
2,023 Posts
For Roxy we go to the vet because she absolutely refuses to let me do her nails. If by chance I get one nail clipped it will be the last nail I clip for quite some time. All she has to do is see the clipper and she bolts. I thought I had this tackled when she was a pup by trying to desensitize her...no waaay. I dreaded when it was time for nails so Id rather just pay the vet tech to do it, it takes them all of 1 min :/

For Roo our breeder used a grinder on her pups and dogs... so I just followed suit. Hes very good about the grinder, we use it twice a week. Bought it at Home Depot. It sits on a charger so is ready to go all the time. Roxy hears the grinder and heads upstairs lol Shes very smart ;)

My best advice for any new puppy owner is start the min the pup comes home. Even if your just taking off a teeny tiny piece of nail, or none at all...just do it frequently, because it will pay off in the long run

·
Registered
421 Posts
We have a nail clipper but usually go to the vet once a month or so to get them clipped. Her nails are so dark that I have a hard time locating the quick, so I just pay the $4 and have the vet's place do it. They do a great job.

·
Kim & Flora
6,104 Posts
I used to use a clipper but unfortunately clipped Flora's quick 2x and since then she is very fearful of clippers so we switched over to a battery operated dremel. She is wonderful with them, so patient! It usually takes me about 5 minutes or so to do all four paws (I'm slow b/c I'm so worried about grinding her quick :eek:). I highly recommend the dremel. I think they leave less sharper edges than a clipper does.

·
Kim & Flora
6,104 Posts
We have a nail clipper but usually go to the vet once a month or so to get them clipped. Her nails are so dark that I have a hard time locating the quick, so I just pay the $4 and have the vet's place do it. They do a great job.
Wow, $4??? I had my vet do it once and they charged me $15.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I use a dremel and all I grind all of our dogs' nails once a week to keep them nice and short.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i use a Dremel. you can trim your
dogs nails a little at a time. sometimes
i do the front legs one day and the rear
legs the next day or the front legs in the am
and the rear legs in the pm. i can do the rear and front
legs at the same time but i find it's easier on my dog
to break it up. when my dog was a pup i use to touch
his nails or a nail daily. i didn't trim the nail i just touched
it with the Dremel to get him use to having his nails done.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I use both clippers and a dremel, but I definitely prefer clippers. It's pretty easy to see where the quick is even on black nails. Trim a little at a time and as you near the quick, it will be white around the outside and you will see a black dot in the middle, kind of like a bulls-eye. That is the tip of the quick and if you cut further, it will bleed. So just a little at a time. That's why I prefer clippers because you can actually shave it until you see that dot in the middle.

·
Kate
20,616 Posts
I use both clippers and a dremel, but I definitely prefer clippers. It's pretty easy to see where the quick is even on black nails. Trim a little at a time and as you near the quick, it will be white around the outside and you will see a black dot in the middle, kind of like a bulls-eye. That is the tip of the quick and if you cut further, it will bleed. So just a little at a time. That's why I prefer clippers because you can actually shave it until you see that dot in the middle.
^ Seconds this.

The other thing is that if you clip your dog's nails often enough, you will know where to clip. With my guy's nails, it's the narrower or curving part of the nail. I know this is the new nail growth and clip that off.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Has anyone else had experience with a golden's nails not ever needing to be trimmed? I've had my dog around 17 months, ever since he was a little puppy, and his nails have always been fine. If I find I'm taking him on walking trails in parks, they tend to get a little long, but walking around my area on sidewalk and pavement seems to keep them naturally trim.

I keep asking other dog owners and such how they look and should I try to trim them and every time but one, I've been told, no, they look fine. That one time was when I was walking him more in nature and had to give him shorter walks for a little while because of my health. Under normal circumstances, the nails just seem to trim themselves. And even when they do get a little long, they seemed to trim themselves back into shape walking on sidewalk and stuff.

Is my dog some sort of mutant non-nail grower? Or is just walking him daily in an area with sidewalks and pavements enough to keep nails trim? I don't feel like I walk him more than most people walk their dogs (I have some health issues and do the best I can, but not as much as I'd do if I were in good health), but yet I've never talked to anyone who's dogs' nails haven't needed trimming. Maybe people don't walk their dogs as much as they say they do and I walk mine more than I think I do? I don't know what to make of it.

·
Ellesimmo
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has anyone else had experience with a golden's nails not ever needing to be trimmed? I've had my dog around 17 months, ever since he was a little puppy, and his nails have always been fine. If I find I'm taking him on walking trails in parks, they tend to get a little long, but walking around my area on sidewalk and pavement seems to keep them naturally trim.

I keep asking other dog owners and such how they look and should I try to trim them and every time but one, I've been told, no, they look fine. That one time was when I was walking him more in nature and had to give him shorter walks for a little while because of my health. Under normal circumstances, the nails just seem to trim themselves. And even when they do get a little long, they seemed to trim themselves back into shape walking on sidewalk and stuff.

Is my dog some sort of mutant non-nail grower? Or is just walking him daily in an area with sidewalks and pavements enough to keep nails trim? I don't feel like I walk him more than most people walk their dogs (I have some health issues and do the best I can, but not as much as I'd do if I were in good health), but yet I've never talked to anyone who's dogs' nails haven't needed trimming. Maybe people don't walk their dogs as much as they say they do and I walk mine more than I think I do? I don't know what to make of it.
That is the advantage and benifit you have over my two Goldens, my girls are walked on mainly grass and that does not help keeping the nails trimmed.

That is one disadvantage of living in the country

Pavements certainly help to naturally keep the nails trimmed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts