Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it is o.k. to trim my Golden's eyelashes. He has them quite long and I think they are beautiful (actually too pretty for a boy :)), but it seems to me that the long lashes might be obstructing his view.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not mean the long white whiskers. I mean lashes, he has 2-3 of them about 1/2 to 3/4" long above each eye.

·
Premium Member
18,562 Posts

·
Kate
22,280 Posts
This is probably not recommended, but when Jacks gets those stray lashes (he gets 1 or 2 super long lashes on the one side, upper lid), I usually snip them.

·
16,000 Posts
This could be (and without seeing it I am certainly only guessing) distichiasis, which is extra eyelashes. Granted, they are usually short and stubby, which can be irritating and painful, but they can also have a few that are longer, and softer and won't cause any problems. I am perhaps overly cautious about ophthalmological issues, having a dog with PU, but I'd be inclined not to trim or pluck any actual lashes (whiskers are another story) especially if there is no irritation, tearing, rubbing, etc. They'll just grow back anyway.

·
Kate
22,280 Posts
I thought that distichiasis only grows like on the inside of the lid? Or in the wrong place?

The one or two I'm snipping back are growing right in line with the other lashes.

·
16,000 Posts
I thought that distichiasis only grows like on the inside of the lid? Or in the wrong place?

The one or two I'm snipping back are growing right in line with the other lashes.
They usually emerge from the opening or duct of the meibomian gland but can occur anywhere along the lid. There can be more than one hair in a single duct, sometimes a entire extra row along the lid. They are usually short and can be stiff, and often grow in an abnormal position, rubbing on the cornea. They can also be longer and soft/silky and not cause any real problem. It takes a veterinarian to diagnose the severity and determine if they need to be removed. Plucking is temporary. Surgery is an option if the lashes are causing problems.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
My Mantha has the most beautiful long eyelashes. They are not distichia. I do not cut them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cody's are also growing in the line with the other lashes. I will keep an eye on it. I would prefer not to cut them off, they are beautiful. I wish I had eyelashes like that :).

·
Kate
22,280 Posts
Cody's are also growing in the line with the other lashes. I will keep an eye on it. I would prefer not to cut them off, they are beautiful. I wish I had eyelashes like that :).
If it were my eye lashes, I would simply pluck the long weirdos out. :D Because this is my baby, I'm using the scissors to snip the 1-2 very long hairs.

It's been a couple months since I spotted those long ones though. I'm hoping that means they are gone for good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts